Galway v Tipperary - All Ireland Senior Hurling Semi-Final 2017

Zeebs knows

1 Like

What you, and most fans/hurlers in the ditch, do not understand is the best coached teams tackle in a way to fool refs or manipulate certain refs. Thats part of prep in most serious teams.

For what its worth guys, i have it on very good authority Barry Kelly did not pass his fitness tests this summer, and they just brushed it aside.

This is reasonabky common and Brian Gavin is thought not to have passed one in a good while.

2 Likes

I was wondering what would create more of a seethe. Zeebs like or Powers sentiment. Hes being harsh on the game it was a great match. Not one of best ever but a great game nonetheless. He must have been well sauced when he put that up

1 Like

''Twas of course, the weather/pitch conditions meant it was never gonna be real top drawer stuff but Richie would want to cop on

1 Like

I never knew that would you believe.

In fairness though the rule is the rule, either you apply it or you donā€™t. Stephen Bennett got a ban in an after the fact review picked up by the Sunday Game earlier in the year.

I thought it was absolute top drawer stuff. The absolute essence of the sturm und drang that I crave to see in Hurling.

4 Likes

What was the genesis for the introduction of the rule Fagan? Was it ever that much of a problem? Remember a few players opening the straps off the ball but was it enough of an issue to create this rule?

It will go the way of the Nash rule anyway now. So much bleating and moaning and controversy they will change rule for a quiet life

I thought 2nd half was. Quality in first half was mixed in comparison. Been a very good season with lot of great contests

If you were allowed to apply a common sense approach and not be hamstrung by the rule book then I would have thought that Bennetts was far more serious than the other two and the only one likely to have been potentially harmful in that the head was jerked quite severely,
Iā€™d have no issue with either of the recent ones being overlooked.

Two wrongs donā€™t make a right. Tadhg de burca incident, whilst different in nature, should not prevent the lad from playing an all Ireland semi final.
Dublin have proved that the rules are perfectly elastic when it suits.
De burcas ban is absolutely wrong (thereā€™s a headline there somewhere)
Banning tuohy would be shameful.

Declan Fanning current Tipp selector had his helmet ripped off his head in a Qualifier years ago v Wexford. His ear was nearly torn off in the incident if i recall correctly.

1 Like

If I recall correctly, he went looking for trouble.

Yeah, the 2 lads were having a go.

Imo, the rule is okay as pulling a helmet off a players can be innocuous enough or do a fair deal of damage to the ear.

I remember that but bad practise to be making rules on isolated cases. No reason that incident cant come under dangerous play and red card for that. Current rule treats ear near ripped off and TDB incident as equal punishment

It was becoming a big issue in the club games too.

Unless it was something OOT I donā€™t think we should be letting the Sunday game and shitehawks like Jackie Cahill decide whether a player gets a ban. If it wasnā€™t picked up by the ref then thatā€™s the way it goes ā€” two wrongs donā€™t make a right.

4 Likes

Iā€™d also agree that TDB should have his card over-turned, he was clearly just trying to push his man away from him.

Interesting to see if it will be in refs match report

What are you suggesting here mate, is it that video evidence shouldnā€™t be used to impose punishments if the officials havenā€™t spotted it?