Galway

Evening all.
Off to Galway next week end and the missus is looking for a decent spot for a session. We’'ll arrive saturday afternoon and ideally will find something to do to stave off the drinking for a while. But we will be looking for somewhere for evening drinks before dinner. It’s the Saturday of Paddy’s weekend so the place will be jammed. Also looking for a post dinner venue somewhere not on shop st, where we might get a bit of trad music and will get a decent pint. Tips on the venues of likely lock-ins and late bars are all welcome.

Get thinking Galway heads.

The crane is your best bet for pints and a bit of trad away from shop street everywhere will be back for Paddy’s. Most things in Galway depend on the weather if it’s a nice day going to pick something to eat in the market on the Saturday and having a stroll down the Claddagh is a grand way to spend an evening. The cops have started to crack down on late night sessions the last few months so could be some difficulty on that front. If you want to head away from town the Oslo or the Cottage in Salthill do their own beers and are nice pubs

Ta wristy, staying in Salthill so I might well try these.

You need to be modern and chic to drink in the Crane

The Crane is a great shout. The Oslo is crap. O’Connor’s in Salthill would be a good spot and will definitely have music that night but not guaranteed trad. Salthill can be fairly dead but there should be a few around that night. To be honest Juhniallo, Paddy’s weekend wouldn’t be the best time to head to Galway as it can be a bit of a hellhole on big drinking weekends like Paddy’s weekend. Bring the missus out to the G for a couple of cocktails she will enjoy it-just a couple mind as they charge through the nose. You’d probably find a lock-in down the west somewhere like Massimo’s or The Crane as Wristy says.

:rolleyes: You’ll do well to find a lock in unless you know someone, the mrs might if she’s fit but doubt you’d be welcome

That’s why we’ll be avoiding the shop street area for the duration of our stay.

Ta Laz. I’ve experienced the Crane on a few occasions and am confident I’m chic enough!

:rolleyes: You’d do well to be out of Massimo’s before 3 bells on any Saturday night never mind Paddy’s day. I know half the pub owners down the west Lazarus-if you are ever stuck, let me know.

The sallt house isnt too bad if not a bit hipsterish albeit oi was only there on lazy saturday afternoon…

The last time I was there I was told to shut up or leave just as I was starting into the second verse of The Galway Shawl.

Fuck that.

[quote=“Kinvara’s Passion, post: 745655, member: 686”]The last time I was there I was told to shut up or leave just as I was starting into the second verse of The Galway Shawl.

Fuck that.[/quote]

We ll there was that group of lads playing dungeons and dragons on a table near us but they soon headed on…

bar that…anytime im in galway i end up in a hoop with all the cool socialites in buskers, as i am a cool socialite…

Massimos is a late bar at the weekends so that makes sense. I doubt that’s what he meant by a lock in though. Call round to any pub in Galway and tell them you know the owner and demand a lock in. See how you get on

But I wouldn’t do that-I would ASK the lads that I do know if they were having a lock in and if they were happy days. I would never demand anything of strangers my friend. I know the gardai are cracking down of late and they can be few and far between.

I think your full of shit bro

The Blue Note.

hippy.

[quote=“Juhniallio, post: 745635, member: 53”]Evening all.
Off to Galway next week end and the missus is looking for a decent spot for a session. We’'ll arrive saturday afternoon and ideally will find something to do to stave off the drinking for a while. But we will be looking for somewhere for evening drinks before dinner. It’s the Saturday of Paddy’s weekend so the place will be jammed. Also looking for a post dinner venue somewhere not on shop st, where we might get a bit of trad music and will get a decent pint. Tips on the venues of likely lock-ins and late bars are all welcome.

Get thinking Galway heads.[/quote]

Roisin Dubh’s is a good spot.Maybe even some live music if you’re lucky.

You would get a late drink in the place beside it as well

Great spot. Chilled crowd, good music and decent beers on offer.

Overall tho, Galway is a nightmare on weekends. Every cunting place is jammers and getting to the bar or pisser is a pain.

Massimos can be alright if I remember correctly. Tigh Coili and Freenys by day and early evening.

:smiley: You wouldn’t even have to know the owner