Galway

Lads, I’ll be looking for a pub to watch the Clare vs Mayo match on Saturday that won’t be full of stags, hens or Americans.

Any thoughts ?

Lonergan’s in Salthill

1 Like

Any around the city ?

What channel is it on?

Murphy’s or the Dew Drop, mate.

Not sure .

RTE

Depends what channel it’s on. Murphys has no sky and generally has racing on all day with the sound down. Dewdrop a decent bet.

Edit. They’ll put it on in Murphys if you ask, but generally keep the sound fairly low. Great Guinness in there. I’d usually drink there if in town.

Has my old fave The Old Forge reopened yet at all?

Murphy’s does have Sky. I watched the Clare v Limerick hurling qualifier there on the same Saturday last year. I’ve also regularly seen “pdc world championship” darts being screened live there.

In any event the Clare v Mayo match is on the national broadcaster.

Apologies, that’s a fairly recent development then (in the general scheme of things)
It was never really a traditional sport watching pub, bar the racing.
It’s where I’d go though for this.

The Dail Bar* will have it on too. I watched the Armagh v Meath and Monaghan v Kildare qualifiers there in 2014.

*The one opposite the Charcoal Grill, not the one on Kildare Street.

They’ve had it as long as I remember which is a good few years. The sound is always very low, alright, if there’s any sound at all. You really need to be perched up at the bar though to get a decent view of the telly.

The Dew Drop is my go to place if I’m watching live TV sport in a Galway pub. Has at least three televisions in different rooms.

The old Skeff was the place to go back in the day for Celtic matches, before it was turned into a wooden monstrosity.

I worked at the new Skeff when it very first opened.
I’ve drunk in Murphys with my dad for years, but never new they had sky, as it’s only ever been a background telly with no or very low sound. I presumed it was just terrestrial and the racing channel.

In fairness you probably have that emigrants bias of remembering things as they were not as they are so that’s understandable enough.

Exactly right, sadly.

Always go to Murphy’s if I want to watch racing when I’m in Galway but not sure about GAA.

Dew Drop sounds like the spot. Cheers men

The Dail Bar will be a good place to watch it if the game is on at 5pm. Any later and it’ll start to fill up with people who won’t be too interested in the match who’ll inevitably annoy the shit out of you

In the Dáil Bar guys.

If anyone is around Galway feel free to pop in and say hello or get your photo taken with me etc

1 Like