Gareth Southgate

We had the best team in the tournament yet somehow we contrived not to win it. Now I know how Brazil fans felt in 1982. Questions need to be asked how that happened, starting with the negative mindset in taking off Saka and Foden.

1 Like

Luke Shaw

But no bollocks. Its just the way it is with England. Never beat anyone of consequence in the knockouts. They are bullies without guns

France have better players out injured than England have starting ffs.

1 Like

Southgates big chance was the euros. He’d Italy on the ropes and instead of pressing on they took the foot of the gas.

Four years is a very long time but they look to have a young squad going forward. A little like Germany in 2010 when they’d a good World Cup.

Hard to see how they’ll replace kane though. That could be the Achilles heal going forward.

1 Like

And how they won’t replace Stones and maguire

1 Like

Kane is a rolls Royce of a player

3 Likes

Stones and maguire surprised me. They weren’t too bad but they weren’t really tested too often.

Teams on paper never won anything

Only three and a half years to the next World Cup. It’s four and a half years to the last one.

2 Likes

They weren’t too good either. This is senior hurling

Pretty much all these teams are carrying players.

Argentina have fairly a shit team on paper. Not many would name two Moroccan players pre tournament.

It’s all about the team and the collective.

Agree 100%. Probably then comes down tp a manager with a pair

A silver shadow or a phantom wouldve had the peno nestling in the corner of the net

A Rolls Royce engine would scarcely have lifted the ball into the sky that well if it was seatbelted into a Boeing air frame

Both teams have fantastic player, Saka abd Foden would start for any team in the world

2 Likes

Except France

Varane doesn’t look right and I wouldn’t be so sure about the other centre back. Theo Hernandez was absolutely destroyed.

Dembele looks windy enough at times.

They have the best players but still have weak links.

Was just thinking the same myself earlier. A fine team but Kane will be 33 by World Cup 2024 and he’s already losing that half yard of pace. I’m sure he’ll still be in fine fettle for the next Euros but I don’t see any top class centre-forwards coming through for them at present. Of course that can change rapidly too. In late 2013 it looked more likely that Kane would play for Ireland than become a lynchpin of the England team.

2 Likes

If they find a really play making midfielder it might allow him to carry on but too often he was coming deep. It was like rooney towards the end.