Gary Speed - RIP

Shocking stuff. Always came across as an alright sort and seemed to be doing an excellent job with Wales.

Never heard anything about him having trouble with depression or anything like that, not even a hint of it it with him. Very sad.

RIP.

Not really relevant, probably just adds pressure regarding his status. Depression just twists everything about yourself into something negative.

Fuck. Shay Given in tears as the game’s about to start. Having to get his contact lenses fixed.

Lost for words. Madness. RIP

RIP - shocking stuff

Terrible news and genuinely shocking. A tragic waste. It’s hard not to feel angry at somebody who does that to their family.

RIP. Very very sad. Tragic for his family.

Awful news. Such an unpredictable illness.

RIP Gary Speed.

Poor taste and misinformed there lad. Unless you’ve been in the situation where taking your own life, regardless of the damage to your family, is the only option I think it’s wise not say things like that. Just my opinion.

RIP. This is horrible news, and news of suicide has the capacity to shock like nothing else even in someone you only know through watching football or whatever. I’m still reeling a little from Peter Roebuck’s death a couple of weeks ago (though there were particular circumstances to that). It’s just awful.

and mine.

Agree with Tommy here. Depression is an illness like any other. It’s too easy to look at lads and say what the fuck has he got to be depressed about?

Stan Collymore can be a knob but fair play to him for talking openly about his struggles with depression. Can only be of help to others.

As much as you feel sympathy for the person who commits suicide and what they may have been going through, the toll it takes on the family left behind is worse, and it lasts. Suicide, when you get down to it, is ultimately a selfish act. It’s an escape. You leave your family and your close friends in a case of permanent mental torment from which they can never escape for the rest of their lives and to which they will never have a real explanation or an answer. That’s a true life sentence.

Same here. Jaysus. RIP doesnt seem to cut it but anyway.

More often than not the view is that they are a burden to their family and by ending it they are helping their family… Unless you have suffered from some form of depression I don’t think you can fully comprehend the mindset.

There’s a semblance of truth to that Sid but unless you’ve battled depression itself, it’s harsh to judge. I’m grateful I’ve never been blighted by this, the most tragic thing is if you lost someone close to you without being aware of their stigma.

[quote=“ChocolateMice, post: 637127”]
More often than not the view is that they are a burden to their family and by ending it they are helping their family… [/quote]
Absolute bollocks and you know it.

We’re assuming that Gary Speed was depressed. That may not necessarily have been the case at all. There are any amount of reasons you could care to think of about why somebody could commit sucide. It could be as a result of long term depression, deep unhappiness with your life circumstnces, a sudden tragic event that happens in your life, a humiliating event, a change in mood brought about by alcohol, and thousands more reasons nobody could even think of. It could be planned or it could be spur of the moment.

But the person who commits suicide no longer has to suffer whatever problems they had, and a whole world is grief and torment is unleashed on their family.

I’d guess that some people on this forum have thought about suicide. They may not have thought about it seriously, they may have just toyed with the idea, even if only for a brief moment. As I posted drunkenly on the suicide thread, I have. Probably not seriously, almost always due to the appalling after effects of alcohol, possibly due to unhappiness at my life in an occasional moment. I haven’t suffered from clinical depression. But I have thought about it. And I bet I’m not alone on this forum.

I also thought about the effect it would have on my family. I’m pretty sure it would destroy them. Losing a family member in any circumstance is bad enough. Most people here have probably lost a relative to cancer. To see somebody who should have plenty of years left waste away as I did with my uncle seven years ago is incredibly difficult. At least at the end of it you can try to make sense of it and accept it. I don’t think I’d ever be able to accept or make sense of a suicide in my family and I’m pretty sure the rest of my family wouldn’t either. Even if I wanted to do it, could I live with doing that to my family? Obviously not, I wouldn’t have to. But they would.

Souness mentioned at half time that the two of them were great friends at Newcastle together with Shearer and Harper.

A fine post Sid,
However, If someone commits suicide I would suggest that they are acting irrationally and not of clear mind. Yes, if they thought about the consequences of sucide on their family and friends they would in all probability not go through with it. I would suggest that those that fall into the former category may be suffering from depression/mental illness that may or may not be known about.

We don’t know. I’m sure in some cases the person believes they are acting entirely rationally.

It would be interesting to compare staistics on suicide between now and say, 200 years ago or even 500 years ago. Obviously we don’t have those statistics but it would be interesting to see and compare to what extent modern society has had on the prevalence of suicide.