Gary Speed - RIP

He was married with two young sons.

I was reading Stan Collymore’s tweets and the below Secret Footballer article yesterday:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/nov/25/the-secret-footballer

Awful news. Stan Collymore had an article on depression yesterday that I’ve been meaning to read.

RIP Gary.

Holy fuck. I saw him on Football Focus yesterday. Terrible, terrible news.

Desperate stuff, my heart dropped to be honest.

Very hard to get your head around

Feel sick after hearing this earlier it’s very hard to understand but then again suicide always is,a fantasic player and was starting to do great things as a manager with a young,talented Welsh team.RIP Gary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUoZStNOr1c
:frowning:

Shocking stuff. Always came across as an alright sort and seemed to be doing an excellent job with Wales.

Never heard anything about him having trouble with depression or anything like that, not even a hint of it it with him. Very sad.

RIP.

Not really relevant, probably just adds pressure regarding his status. Depression just twists everything about yourself into something negative.

Fuck. Shay Given in tears as the game’s about to start. Having to get his contact lenses fixed.

Lost for words. Madness. RIP

RIP - shocking stuff

Terrible news and genuinely shocking. A tragic waste. It’s hard not to feel angry at somebody who does that to their family.

RIP. Very very sad. Tragic for his family.

Awful news. Such an unpredictable illness.

RIP Gary Speed.

Poor taste and misinformed there lad. Unless you’ve been in the situation where taking your own life, regardless of the damage to your family, is the only option I think it’s wise not say things like that. Just my opinion.

RIP. This is horrible news, and news of suicide has the capacity to shock like nothing else even in someone you only know through watching football or whatever. I’m still reeling a little from Peter Roebuck’s death a couple of weeks ago (though there were particular circumstances to that). It’s just awful.

and mine.

Agree with Tommy here. Depression is an illness like any other. It’s too easy to look at lads and say what the fuck has he got to be depressed about?

Stan Collymore can be a knob but fair play to him for talking openly about his struggles with depression. Can only be of help to others.

As much as you feel sympathy for the person who commits suicide and what they may have been going through, the toll it takes on the family left behind is worse, and it lasts. Suicide, when you get down to it, is ultimately a selfish act. It’s an escape. You leave your family and your close friends in a case of permanent mental torment from which they can never escape for the rest of their lives and to which they will never have a real explanation or an answer. That’s a true life sentence.

Same here. Jaysus. RIP doesnt seem to cut it but anyway.