Gazza

In the recent Euro 96 Documentary which I posted elsewhere on the forum, Gazza obviously was mentioned, and interviewed. Most of the players said that they see him every now and them, but not much, and that as Seaman said “Gazza is dealing with his own issues”.

I thought that was sad, that they weren’t doing more to help him. Then it cut to Gazza, and Shearer asked him does he see much of the Euro 96 gang (avoiding the obvious one that there’s one sitting right in front of you). Gazza replied saying that he cant see them. That seeing them, makes him want to go back. And that he can’t go back, its too hard. He told a story about how after his first season with Newcastle he went home to his dad and wept because it was over, only for his dad to explain that it will all start up again in a few week, once the summer is over. But Gazza couldn’t see that far into the future, his whole life has always been the here and now.

This was always on the cards sadly. I’m not sure anything could really have changed it, not even the theory about Ferguson getting his hands on him, which is the biggest pile of horseshit I’ve ever seen tbh.

2 Likes

Agreed, sure didn’t fergie do wonders for Paul McGrath.

Saw that doc as well, but don’t think the 96 lads could’ve done anything for him as he has a total self destruction edge to him

2 Likes

Great fella? A wife beater isnt a great fella

Anyone who plays for nazio and the hins is a dick

2 Likes

+1 … beat his wife and sang anti Irish songs (probably at the same time) a horrible fucker

Shit footballer in serie a too

He’s probably on the lash for the 12th

2 Likes

Nice little show on BT Sport at the moment about Gollazzo. Poor Ray Wilkins is on it.

2 Likes

Very enjoyable show . To be fair to C4 when they did sport it was good .

Great memories. Georgie Weah’s goal there was unreal.

1 Like

I always loved that stadium in Genoa .

1 Like

I’m tuned in… Everyone loved Parma

I was very moved by some of the stories about Ray Wilkins that emerged after his sad passing. He was a lovely guy, even if he played for horrible teams.

2 Likes

Designed by Gregotti.

Only reason I know is that my brother made a model of the stadium for his Leaving Cert woodwork project.

2 Likes

Gazza used to do predictions in the early days of Gazetta.

‘Fiorentina Foggia - don’t know much about Foggia’

Iconic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHXfHFNlJ_w

3 Likes

I’d like to echo those sentiments.

1 Like

I visited that stadium with my family on July 31st, 1993.

As we walked to the stadium, two chaps on a motorbike, who appeared to be Genoa ultras, as one of them was wearing a Genoa scarf across his face, offered to give myself and lapsed forum member @Trapattoni a lift on their bike. I’m always sorry my mother wouldn’t let them. While there was probably a 3% chance they would have abducted and murdered us, I liked the 97% odds they wouldn’t have.

When we got to the stadium, it was locked up, but we got talking to two laundry ladies who were working at the stadium. They didn’t speak English and we didn’t speak Italian, but they reacted warmly to the word “Irlanda” and brought us into a laundry room and gave myself and Trap a free pair of Sampdoria shorts each.

5 Likes

Fuck sid . If you scenario came to pass you would have surpassed Daniel O Connell as the most famous Irishman to die in Genoa .

4 Likes

Unreal coincidence - I was listening to “Emancipation” by Prince on the train from Milan to Genoa that day, even though it wouldn’t be released for another three years.

Never knew ince was that popular at inter?