GDPR Discussion

GDPR is the greatest generator of spam of all time. The amount of emails I’m getting is scary, I had no idea so many people had my details :see_no_evil:

Just got a text from Dominos there which I’m pretty sure violated GDPR. They asked me to opt out, rather than opt in?

Seemingly Santa Claus is in violation of article 4 of GDPR .

Same here. If you just delete them as they pop in do the company stop sending them ? Or do you have to opt out.

Are they ok till tomorrow ???

No you have to opt in.
The company needs to have a documented consent to market to you going forward, unless they can cite another reason, “legitimate interest” will be the main one they try to use. e.g. say you previously used the services of a recruitment company, they would deem themselves to have legitimate interest in emailing you about a job opening, even if they don’t have your documented consent.

There’s a fair bit of vaugness around how the new rules will be enforced and a lot of it is open to interpretation. It will take a few test cases/ precidents to be established before people really know what they can and can’t do.

They’re hopping in today and I haven’t the interest is opening each one. Mainly hotels and sports apparel.

So if I’ve done business with these folks a fair bit before now it’s ok to assume I can continue to email them?

On business related matters. You don’t have to stop emailing your active clients on Saturday. I don’t know what you do, but I think it’s to do with schools as opposed to individuals?
There is a debate at the moment around whether or not a business/work email address is personal information, in strictest since it probably is, but it will be interesting to see how the data protection commissioner interprets it.

It’s usually booked through an individual teacher on their personal or personal school email. Most of these people have booked it for a few years in a row and you’d imagine they’d be sound about it but it only takes one cunt to ruin it for everyone*. If they’ve done business a few times with us surely that’s legitimate interest(I’ve no idea if that makes a difference just read it in your previous post).

*The Weinstein rule

If they booked a service with you each year you would be well entitled to send an “unsolicited” email to them enquiring if they will be booking your service again this year.

1 Like

To be honest, the email marketing is only a tiny portion of it. The real responsibility is how you manage the data the school/individuals provide you with.

He fills vending machines, ffs sake.

5 Likes

I’d say thousands of data protection officers have been employed in the last year in preparation for this shit. An IT services company in Dublin that I work with hired a team of 12 to deal with GDPR training and consulting for clients. A gravy train like the millennium bug.

3 Likes

Surprisingly, I’ve only gotten a handful of these so far. Entertainment.ie are offering me the chance to win a One4All Voucher and a pair of tickets to Castlepalooza if I opt in, the shysters. My favourite one though is the following:

Hi Guys, Just a quick one with the hole GDPR thats going on. If you want to oarry on getting our irregular emails with bad punctuation and the odd spelling mistake here and there please re sign via the box below. With the changes to social reach we rely on bringing you news via our newsletters so please Sign Up Here

I probably won’t opt in.

1 Like

I’m branching out into the little cars and helicopters that kids sit in for a euro in shopping centres.

4 Likes

There’s a fortune to be made from those. It’s 2 euro minimum.

It’s flawed! It costs nothing to sit in them

Typical Mac.

Half of them don’t work in the Crescent.

1 Like

The customers?

5 Likes