General Election 2020 Hub

It upset me greatly. She was a diamond activist and everybody knew she wasoff to brussels to retire but by God shedroppedher constituency like a flash

Keep going, it’ll be a 33 letter word before you are finished.

2 Likes

Between the Tanaiste ringing Belfast and the Taoiseach ringing Malta it’ll be hard to move swiftly

Is it true Noonan met with vulture bastards 65 times over 2013/14??? - He’s some cunt of a man.

1 Like

FF/SF being backed

I’ll seriously have to question things if they go into power with FF.

Epic from Ms Noone.

1 Like

Are you pretending you read the lot of that? - if you did read it could you not post the whole thing up, cunty balls?

Download and install this chrome extension to bypass the paywall.

5 Likes

Election 2020: Varadkar ‘autistic’, said his senator Catherine Noone

Leo Varadkar has been described as “autistic” by a Fine Gael senator running in the general election.

Catherine Noone made the comments while canvassing in Dublin, after being asked about the taoiseach’s performance on last week’s Virgin Media head-to-head debate. She withdrew the description after being contacted by The Times .

Mr Varadkar has been criticised for appearing to lack empathy on issues such as health and the homelessness crisis.

“I care about this country. I probably can’t put it into words as well as my opponent, but I do it with my actions,” Mr Varadkar said during the debate. “I show my empathy in the work I do, maybe I don’t say it in the right words.”

Ms Noone, 46, a Fine Gael senator who was Mr Varadkar’s running mate in Dublin West in the 2016 general election, was asked about the issue while canvassing in Bayside, in the Dublin Bay North constituency, last Friday evening.

Ms Noone described Mr Varadkar as a “very good politician” but accepted that he was “a bit wooden” and was making efforts to improve.

“He’s autistic like, he’s on the spectrum, there’s no doubt about it. He’s uncomfortable socially and he doesn’t always get the inbetween bits,” she added.

She said the Fine Gael leader was “extremely bright” and a “very decent guy”.

“If I do say so, I am much more natural than he would be. I’ve been in rooms with him and he doesn’t know what to do with himself. He’s naturally shy. But he’s actually a very good politician,” she said.

She added: “He’s not into the nudge and wink, any of that craic. If you’re looking for him to appoint someone, and you say ‘they’re a Fianna Fáiler’, he’ll say, ‘I just want the best person for the job.’ I really respect that about him.”

When contacted by The Times for clarification yesterday, Ms Noone initially denied that she used the word “autistic”. When informed that the reporter had a recording, she said she did not mean the word literally.

“I didn’t mean it in the sense of the actual illness or anything. I just mean he can be a bit wooden and lacking in empathy,” she said. “I shouldn’t have even said it in that way.”

Ms Noone then attempted to give examples of potentially offensive words that could be used out of context, such as “special” and “n***er”. She quickly clarified that she would never use the N word, and said that it was a bad example.

Ms Noone explained that her comment had been taken out of context. “Sometimes I say, ‘Oh God, I’m a bit special’ but I don’t mean it to be derogatory,” she said.

Autism refers to a range of conditions characterised by difficulties with social and language skills, repetitive behaviours and non-verbal communication.

AsIAm, an autism charity and advocacy group, said autism was a complex and “invisible” condition that has an “an extensive clinical diagnostic process”.

Fiona Ferris, deputy head of the charity, said: “We need to be careful not to engage in ‘doorstep diagnosis’ because we cannot definitively tell whether or not someone is on the spectrum without a full assessment.”

She added: “The stereotyping of autism unfortunately leads to many autistic individuals feeling stigmatised. Autistic people can of course empathise, just as non-autistic people can. However that empathy may be communicated or even processed differently.”

She said the charity was working on a national level to educate wider society about “how autistic people experience the world”. She said that a large part of this was “dispelling myths or misconceptions like this which increase the stigma surrounding the condition”.

Ms Ferris added: “We would encourage politicians to learn more about autism and support AsIAm’s #HappierHealthierLonger election pledge.”

Fine Gael did not respond to requests for comment.

Ms Noone received 1,074 first preference votes in the general election in 2016 in Dublin West but failed to win a seat. She was later elected to the Seanad on the 26th count. Mr Varadkar appointed her as deputy leader of the Seanad in July 2016. Ms Noone also chaired the Oireachtas committee on the eight amendment, which recommended that it be repealed.

Mary Lou better on Morning Ireland now… She better sort her shit out before the next debate.

She called Varadkar “autistic” at a local hustings the other night, denied it when contacted before admitting it after she heard there was a recording of her comments. Then she said she didn’t mean to use the word autistic literally and said other words that are offensive are sometimes used in that way without the person meaning any offence. She cited the words “special” and “n#%%er” as examples of that then. It’s a tremendous read.

11 Likes

These fucking women are going to be the ruination of Fine Gael :rofl:

They should have kept Verona

1 Like

She was on the radio sometime last week. The interviewer asked her if she could name the famous Dublin GAA captain in her constituency, she hemmed and hawed for a minute and then went on a big diatribe on how it was a very unfair question and misogynstic.

She seems unhinged.

2 Likes

She always struck me as a head-the-ball tbf

1 Like

Smart phones have been around for a good 10 year now ---- When are these dipsticks gonna learn that everything you say publicly is recorded and out there.

2 Likes

I actually assumed this was a joke until now. What an outrageous interview! Whatever about whether she should or shouldn’t say what she said, the explaining it exposes her completely as a simpleton.

1 Like