General Election 2020 Hub

I’m sorry to break it to FGFF supporters but none of this late targeting of SF is going to have much of an effect. It’s a classic case of preaching to the converted, or in this case the unconverted. People are already aware that the IRA waged war between 1969 and 1997 and that for a decade or so afterwards there was a slow petering out of Republican activity rather than a sudden stop, with a few admittedly very problematic crimes, but with the general direction of travel being a very positive one. All this is already priced into SF’s support. Nobody thinking of voting SF is going to listen to Michael McDowell or Kevin Myers. It may even push some people towards SF.

4 Likes

Why is he calling on someone in a different parliament to resign? Does he often go looking for people to resign in jurisdictions he never bothered his hole getting involved in?

The cap doffers sure do love a bit of “look over there”

Former Minister for Justice as well. @anon61878697 needs to up his game. He’s floundering as badly here as Mary Lou McDonald was during the debate the other night.

See above …

Straw man. I never claimed he was.

As an Irish politician (he’s still in the Seanad) and a judicial expert, I’d imagine his opinion was asked ?

Michael McDowell has now called on Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe to resign. He’s on an anti-Shinner rampage.

1 Like

Shinners acted the cunt with McDowell when he lost his seat that time.

Which time?

He lost it three times I think :joy:

The last time. One of Ireland’s great minds, he’s a loss to the Dail. His stance on crime and corruption annoyed a lot of people.

2 Likes

The point about these claims not really affecting committed 1st preference Sinn Fein voters is a good one.

The more likely goal is to keep SF candidates down the list and away from 2nd & 3rd preferences. That will hurt in some marginal seats but wont matter for the majority of constituencies where SF have a single candidate and a vote pool of 75%+ of a quota

2 Likes

Dan the Tan said that he called on Murphy to resign … Does he often call on members of different parliamentary houses around the world to resign? @ChairmanDan

Quite a number of Charlie Flanagan posters in Laois defaced with RIC slogans. You just hate to see it.

Probably lads pulling in on the way home from visiting their pals in the Gaol.

Untrue. They cheered him out of the RDS after he lost his seat, if I recall correctly. A very magnanimous and mighty sound gesture.

7 Likes

This election has been peak Bandage.

2 Likes

how did his “last sting of a dying wasp” work out then?

hes also been noticeable in his not calling for the likes of noirin, shatter, etc to resign

1 Like

sorry i cant continue more to this one as good debate in play here
what i will say is that core shinner vote is core shinner vote - what they are really relying on is people to switch and a lot that folk are up for grabs - now that is why i think the other night’s debate was signifigant - as i said in the league sunday thread there was a huge shinner presence outside pairc tailteamm last week and this was a sign that they are really reaching out of their demographic .
Gah was the preserve of Zanu FF in the 00’s - shinners went to celtic matches and got on the board at Foras- this is new territory for them…
“switcher” voters i believe are folk who will give it thought and therefore attempt to inform themselves before showtime - a lot of them would have watched that debate tuesday and from the bit of it i saw - if you were undecided - you’d stick with Leo…

1 Like

He is giving a veritable Tour De France here.

1 Like