General Election 2020 Part 2

It wasnt a Cork to Limerick tho, it was Cork to Limerick to Galway ā€” a western corridor.

Iā€™d have no issue if the scrapped it and introduced a proper mode of transport to get from Cork - Limerick - Galway ---- A train to Galway from Cork takes anywhere from 4.5 -8 hours.

Dunno, with Tourism looking likely to recede in the short term there will be plenty of supply in the AirBnB sector you would imagine.

If that stock came to market it would make a huge difference to Dublin market.

It already has. It really wasnā€™t all that much, about half a monthā€™s normal supply.

It will rise. That bubble is burst now and owners will flee the market assumebly.

The best estimate of secondary homes being listed on Air BnB was around 7,000 and that was in total for a year so would include homes in transition or literally their holiday home that they rent out when theyā€™re not using it. It really is not all that much in the context of the overall housing shortage.

I think people also overestimate how lucrative it is to be honest. The average income was just ā‚¬5k a year. Managing a constant Air BnB would be a real pain in the ass Iā€™d say with plenty of down periods. I have no doubt that lots of people did very well out of it (and some likely evaded some tax), particularly in Dublin City Centre, but itā€™s overegged really.

:thinking:

2 Likes

@Fagan_ODowd

1 Like

Wonā€™t somebody think of the tax exiles?

Oh wait, Fine Gael have.

1 Like

Fine Gael arenā€™t mentioned anywhere in that piece

1 Like

@Thomas_Brady I presume youā€™ll be quickly condemning some of the efforts detailed below as PR and Spin. Notable that they felt the need to go public with it, which I understood was the type of behaviour that appalls you?

Final question - seeing as this seems to be some sort of co-ordinated effort would you think the TDā€™s involved suggested it or got told by the lads in Belfast?

3 Likes

EOB and otherā€™s do that every year. First time I saw it on social media but it could will be something he does every yearā€” I dont think they hired a PR team to tell them do it during the middle of the current crisis if thatā€™s what youā€™re asking.

No thatā€™s not what Iā€™m asking. Itā€™s clearly PR/Spin - why post it publicly otherwise? Youā€™ve been pretty relentless condemning PR/spin in recent days so I presume youā€™ll condemn this too?

2 Likes

Ooooft

No, iā€™ve condemned something very different.

Anyway - iā€™m letting politics go while people are dying. If you Flushirsts could stop tagging me every two minutes it would be great.

FG are flushing you away alright

:laughing:

Youā€™re desperate altogether ā€¦ I must have destroyed you.

Iā€™m just joshing.

This is winding down now truth be told.

We can do this together.

Iā€™ve full believe in a lad who appears to be named after a box of fags and a random Dutch soccer team on twitter.

1 Like