General Election 2020 Part 2

And they are led by a simpleton

Why is Michael Collins so angry?
I’ve kind of dismissed him because I thought he was a feed our own first merchant but now I’ll have a closer look

I think you can argue that they did bring the British Government to the negotiating table, or at least to back channel negotiations. But a lot of the acts that forced that back channel negotiation were undeniably evil.

And the ceasefire in itself was tacit admission that the strategy up to then hadn’t worked in terms of achieving its aim, that a different strategy would be needed to do that. And that strategy so far hasn’t borne any fruit in terms of the mian aim, which is a united Ireland.

Ultimately, it’s only outbreeding and demographic change which will bring about a united Ireland.

The left wing parties you mentioned won at least half their seats due to SF transfers. If there was another election next week and SF ran more candidates, SF would win about 50 seats. The reason is SF are now seen by the electorate as a viable party to have a senior role in government.

1 Like

Lots of FGers were former Unionists. Maurice Dockrell ran in the local elections a few years ago in Blackrock for FG. His great grand father was a Unionist MP with his son and then grandson joined FG. Lots of Unionists did down South in fact, FG are abused for being West Brits but the ironic thing is that they had more integration with Unionists who accepted Ireland as an independent State than any other Irish political party!

I happen to know a recent Chair of Ógra FF and someone who was a couple of votes off their national executive a couple of years ago too. Both big fans of Collins and say he’d have ended up in FF.

#gaffs

Exactly, he’d be easily controlled by the other two.

1 Like

I actually agree it was a mistake for the IRA to focus on targets in NI, which led to inevitable sectarian bloodshed. They should have targeted the mainland much more aggressively.

A carbon tax that will hit people where it hurts, a retrofitting scheme which will not only cost millions but also suck up a load of construction workers who will be needed for all the houses. and a load of wolves which Putin won’t let go cheap…

Hard to believe they never invested in an airforce

1 Like

It’s war though, bad things are inevitable, lines are blurred and people aren’t thinking clearly. It’s the atmosphere and environment that was allowed fester that was the cause. The British and Free State governments have never owned up to their responsibility towards the troubles.

I know. But Labour were seen as that nine years ago, they got the same number of seats as SF did this time.

The question is one of branding and strategy. The politics aren’t essentially different. Anybody in Labour, the Greens and the Soc Dems could be in one of the other and nobody would know the difference. Anybody in SF could probably be in PBP and people wouldn’t know the difference. Most of SF could be in Labour, the Greens and the Soc Dems and people probably wouldn’t know the difference.

The issue is one of branding and strategy. The politics aren’t much different, if at all.

1 Like

The Waterford brigade could be out to get her

1 Like

Leave more bombs in pubs and run away you mean?

:thinking::thinking:

Sean Alderman Dublin Bay Rockall Loftus, thank you.

It’s undeniable that when the Provos switched the campaign to mainland UK that is when they had a bigger impact on the Brits. It was the likes of the Canary Wharf bomb which caused them the most distress.

I think Warrington and the Baltic Exchange were aggressive enough.

It’s interesting you say this though as it does sort of leave open the moral justification to anybody so minded that they could and should do this.

1 Like

They had evolved their bomb making and general strategy from blowing away 22 innocent people in a pub.

Not to mention letting 6 innocent men rot in jail.

1/2 Soc Dems are ex Labour. Shortall, Murphy, O Callaghan. Shortall and O Callaghan took all the perks and left it late to make their ‘principled stand’. Murphy left because of Stagg (couldn’t get past him and wanted to further herself.) The actual politics are very similar.