General Election 2020 Part 2

They don’t have better candidates. They are still clinging to the support of backwards arsed mountainy men around the country, with michĂ©al trying his best to keep them quiet and qive them a veneer of respectability and modernism.

The constitution was amended to include rights for marriage regardless of sex. So you think constitutionally protecting peoples rights is a dangerous thing?

1 Like

A sexless marriage wont work.

That’s the thing though, there is no sun-lit uplands. This is as good as it gets. If we want more of something, we will have to give up something else.

Social protection.

You’ve either misunderstood or misinterpreted what I said. I think it was fairly clear.

I wouldn’t say better candidates - I said better candidate selection, I.e less of them.

You bring far too much of your own bias to your analysis. We get that you won’t vote for them (or will I) but there is still a large cohort out there that did. You make the reasonable assumption that all the voters that voted SF would do so again - they might make the assumption of something similar for their voters.

You said they could have legislated an amendment to the constitution.

We’ve had this conversation before in your prior life, sad to see you haven’t learned much in this new incarnation. The majority of people born into poverty escape poverty, by taking responsibility for their lives and availing of the opportunities afforded them. The formula is simple, stay in school, get a job, don’t have kids until you are mature enough to rear them. Every effort should be made to encourage this behavior, rather than encourage the opposite. There are enormous opportunities for young people in particular, free education, scholarships, plentiful jobs, etc. It is absolutely heartwarming to see young people who come from disadvantages backgrounds succeed in life.

The lefts approach to poverty worldwide has failed utterly. Every inner city in the US with the highest crime rates and poverty is run by leftists with huge budgets. Programs run by leftists actually keep people in poverty. They may be well meaning but the only thing that actually works is incentivizing people to develop good habits.

3 Likes

I do alright when it comes to judging what people will vote for. But if the people see FF presented with the opportunity to form a government and declining it, will more of them vote for them in an immediately following election? I doubt it. I’d say more would jump ship.

I didn’t. Read it again. There was nothing in the constitution to prevent gay marriage. A referendum wasn’t needed. It could have been legislated for.

I was just thinking that there’d have to be a lot of rejigging of ministerial departments/portfolios if any form of coalition is going to work. For example, Eoin O Broin would have to be seen as the front runner for Housing, however this falls under the auspices of the old Department of the Environment & Local Government which the Greens, should they be involved, would surely want.

If the Soc Dems come on board do you go with Shorthall or Louise O’Reilly in Health? FF won’t want to give up Finance if they’re involved and a Shinner Minister for Justice would have the Civil Service taking to the streets.

Quare times, as the cat said when the clock fell on him.

An election that scenario, as I said in an earlier post, would be all about gov combinations with policies pushed to the side.

SF would go hard saying this is a momentous opportunity to have an all-left gov

FF & FG would say - are you happy with a rainbow left coalition? Is it worth the risk?

Some battle and prob back in a similar situation numbers wise :joy::joy:

FFG back in
 You know it.

Miriam doesn’t seem to understand that negotiations require a bit of give and take

Miriam prefers official ireland

An awful pity egg head Donnelly held on to his seat.

2 Likes

I’m very sorry to hear this.

1 Like

Wtf just happened?

Border Poll

Sam browne belt.