General Election - Housing Manifestos

They’ll be blowing about the per capita wealth of Oireland though.

I skipped some TBH but from what I read none of the whures have the appetite to actually dirt it,bar SF who you correctly pointed out are a tad unrealistic,Greens will bankrupt us( even more)and a lot of voters will vote purely on the "anyone bar FG"so unless SF become part of the next government I foresee our current housing/ HSE/ pensions problems just going on and on, simplistic I know but FFS county councils need to build direct,bypass all this red tape planning approval bullshit ,which slows / stops building surely to fuck councils can directly hire building firms to start building, without Cluid and other housing associations we’d be really fucked,at least they’re building/ buying, managing properly,ie fucked out a druggie pusher from my estate after Christmas,and already have had builder’s renovating ,and will have another family in the house within 2 weeks,imagine Cork city council doing that ? Never,takes the clowns up to 2 yrs

Christ above. I can’t read that shite.

The future of Social Housing

public housing

2 Likes

That’s some sentence.

2 Likes

There were numerous D&B rapid build projects undertaken by the 4 Dublin Local Authorities and I think Wicklow County Council where they were getting units delivered for €160-€200k. LADS are punitive on them though €200 per unit per day.
Some of the more recent returns are coming in over €300k/unit so the value is definitely gone. Projects are being tendered under a Framework though, so likely a number of contractors stopped pricing when they weren’t winning jobs thereby making the competitions less competitive.
It’s all very well to say build more houses but when new house completions here was in excess of the UK. there was a serious problem with quality and poor workmanship.

There was an excellent series of articles in the Economist last week about housing issues in the western world. Bottom line, some of the challenges we face are common themes in other countries too and a range of efforts prob required to resolve them.

Was that the returned tendered construction price or the full costs of the development with the fees and planning and other soft costs included? The ones from that SCSI report was for the full costs from inception to completion.

I’ve yet to see LAD’s properly applied on projects anyway, far too easy to manipulate it that it doesn’t get applied and the risk of trying to impose them is that if you lose, you open the door to extension of time claims.

Returned tenders incl design fees, planning is handled by the Local Authorities (Part 8 I think).
They are Design and Build competitions with significant marks for programme and validity of same so easy enough to apply LADS as the Public Works Contract has a defined list of compensatable events, once the client doesn’t look for scope changes.

yeah the other reviews included planning, land acquisition, marketing etc as a total overall cost. Easier to apply LADs on D&B alright, but as you say, one client change fucks the whole thing up and makes a mess of it all then in terms of accountability on program. €300k per unit is still high though in terms of volume required.

Labour and trades availability is really scarce at the moment and costs are going mental so there is a two fold effect on that. Firstly, as you mention, quality will deteriorate as any gangster will just rock up and do the work and fuck off again. Secondly, there is just a shortage in general of trades that some of these promises to build up to 5 times more than what is currently being done, there just simply isnt the labour there to do it so promising houses and money to build them is going to do fuck all until they address the infrastructure and resources to be able to complete this.

Similar to your point on competitiveness in public works tenders, the value isnt in them and secondly they are a pain in the bollix. Dealing with LA’s and the increased workload for dealing with the Public works forms of contracts just isnt appealing to contractors. This adds to the lack of availability of work to be there to deal with all these increased public housing units.

Aren’t a lot of the UK rapid build and modular home divisions making serious losses?

That’s a two way street though, there are some contractors that you simply wouldn’t want near a public contract due to their bollocks acting. While the PWC requires alot of admin some contractors take the absolute piss. I worked on a €2m project where there was over 500 contractor claims, at least 70 percent of them spurious. Each one has to be assessed and agreed, alot of contractors happy to take their chances in conciliation as well.

I don’t doubt it, any done here seem to be timber/steel framed structures with block/brick and render finish externally which still leaves you a slave to the weather.

It sure is. I know of one contracting firm who have specific law contractual based law type QS’s on board who specifically go for all the omissions and targeted areas to claim as much as they can for spurious bullshit they know they can contractually get. I had a chat with one civils type contractor who was on a job not far from me where is contract price pretty much doubled even though the scope of the works remained broadly the same. But he had them caught due to really bad contract drawings and no pricing schedule and he absolutely sowed it into them, but was similarly happy for it to go to conciliation as he knew he’d win it.

1 Like

The PwC is not fit for purpose, not even close. It’s a race to the cheapest price and forces contractors to become extremely litigious.

1 Like

It was unfair when the industry fell off a cliff and all risk was dumped on contractors desperate to win work to stay afloat.
The changes that make the Pricing Document re-measurable in effect has evened things out a bit.
More onus on consultants to have a properly detailed set of tender docs.
It’s a workable contract if the design and tender stage is done correctly.

How are these co-living units coming along? Did they go ahead and build them at 12 square meters?