General Election - Housing Manifestos

It’s a load of horseshit.

The only way to actually reach the targets would be to actually fuck people out of hotels, the HAP scheme and cut charity budgets for 5 years. That’s aside from the actual logistics of getting that many builders in.

At least the left have kept things vague and gone with “tax the rich” and “Apple money!”.

FG have 60,000 over 5 years.

1bn ain’t gonna gonna deliver 40,000 social houses.

It seems their plans and details are all over the place. They do clearly state it is an additional €500m per year over and above existing expenditure, but now they have that same figure over 5 years.

But they have some brilliant use of business jargon. I’m going to use “Dunkirk style approach” today. I’m not sure how and where, but I suppose that really isnt important when you use business jargon and great buzzwords that make fuck all sense.

1 Like

Labour have stated a figure of 80,000 houses for €16bn over 5 years. A somewhat realistic proposal. Just they will never ever see the light of day with that though.

1 Like

We need to bring back tenements

This is a good article on our counterproductive short term housing policies. Same applies to health. The FG cheerleaders would like people to believe that properly investing in public services would bankrupt us. In reality it is the policy choices of the FG government that have led to unsustainable current spending and crises in housing and health, and the same policy choices that have left us without the ability to properly invest money where we should.

Subscriber only

@Fagan_ODowd will copy it up for you.

Basically, FG policy is to heap more and more money into expensive short term fixes because they are ideologically opposed to the state providing proper services. This leaves us without the scope or ability to invest in proper or long term solutions cause FG have blown the budget on current spending. This is the crowd that market themselves as the fiscally prudent lads. You couldn’t make it up.

2 Likes

Shur, @chocolatemice has been saying this for about 5 years now and everyone attacked the cunt for it.

So has @glasagusban, and every time he suggests something prudent and sustainable the FG bully boys scream magic money tree at him. Meanwhile, where are they getting the money to fund their out of control current spending?

Fintan O’Toole :roll_eyes:

Short termism is the idea that we should build mass social housing again and that there won’t be any problems.

Fintan champions this because he grew up in one and he turned out fine.

Fintan now lives in a private house in Glasnevin.

That’s not a counterpoint, unfortunately.

What’s your issue with this?

A private house mind you :smile:

Along with the Flaggy Shore gaff he’s building a big fuck-off extension on to.

I don’t have an issue with that.

I’m just making the point. He lives in a private housing estate that is the definition of leafy middle class and protected.

He advocates for mass social housing estates because he was brought up in one and is fine.

Fintan is divorced from reality because he is the boy done good. The policy of moving away from those estates is because they were a failure by and large, storing up further problems for the future.

You keep saying mass social housing estates. The state building houses does not necessarily mean mass social housing estates, which I have not seen anyone advocating for. This is my second time pointing this out to you. You can’t help yourself replying to points no one made.

You’ve also decided you can invalidate a person’s opinion based on where they live. Very interesting. Not surprising coming from you of course.

1 Like

@chocolatemice has also pointed this out — the old boys club think that the state building housing means housing for the poor and working class… Very shallow and arrogant thinking.

The funniest part is that Tim thinks that posh private school boys club FG politicians’ opinions on social housing are valid, but the opinion of someone who grew up in social is invalid if they moved to a private house. I think Tim is labelling O’Toole a class traitor because he has no response to the valid points raised about FGs wildly irresponsible spending record.

1 Like

That’s incorrect. Listen to what housing advocates like Rory Hearne, EOB etc are saying.

You obviously haven’t been paying attention to what the people who you claim to support say.