General Election - Housing Manifestos

I look forward to working with you for the next 5 years.

That’s actually a hilarious couple of sentences.

An academic who asked not to be named? Sounds like a real authoritative source :smiley:

Points out the number of houses built since 1990 -yes mister big brain that’s a major cause of the problem.

Building loads of houses would be an unprecedented ramping up of construction - a masterful insight, and perhaps even that is what’s needed in a housing crisis?

Our genius then extrapolates that because something wasn’t done or attempted before it must be impossible to do now. Eh, right, QED.

I wouldn’t say this unnamed academic would have many articles in peer reviewed journals to his name.

I think it’s more to point out that the ramp-up or proposed level of building is unprecedented for the state - certainly in modern history.

Given that it’s unprecedented the question then arises how feasible is it to ramp to that scale of construction.

It’s a good way of contextualising the scale of promises being made in my view.

So of the 100,000 Sinn Fein are promising to build, half of them are part of a strategic plan brought in by Fine Gael. It seems to me to be a bit underhanded to be crowing about building all these extra homes but piggy backing on a plan already being implemented through the current government.

6 Likes

Isn’t that what every party or government does?

We have a housing crisis that is unprecedented in modern history. It’s lazy analysis with no underlying reasoning offered from a nameless nobody.

oh of course, sure at the bridge opening here last week and the Roslare to Spain announcement too, every fucker up for election was trying to take credit for what happened, even if they were no where near involved.

I suppose the point being, that they criticise the existing government for the housing crisis, yet 50% of their target aims will happen regardless of who gets into power.

Or you could say that they aim to build 100% more houses than FG.

but that wouldnt be true either, Fine Gael have “promised” to build more than what is currently under the National Development plan too.

To add to the unnamed academic, and as I pointed out already, construction at the moment is at very high capacity levels. I genuinely do not know where they would get the resources to increase such a vast amount additional construction work. It’s just not there at the moment to be able to sustain it. It would be great if it was, but prices are already going up rapidly because of the demand on certain labour and skills, it would only keep rising and drive up construction costs by such a large increase in the volume of construction activity. It will also be interesting to see how Brexit affects material supply and costs too.

2 Likes

Let’s just get change done.

2 Likes

Of course those are all relevant points but they can be overcome, workers can and do move here.

1 Like

phrases work better in CAPS.

BUILD IT AND IT THEY WILL NOT BE HOMELESS

1 Like

Build it where?

Wherever they want!

more foreigners taking our jobs…

Where will those workers live?

but not on my street.

Or anywhere near me either.

But yeah, build homes for public housing! NOW!

GET CHANGE DONE

Where will we house the foreigners building the houses ???

Other foreigners will come to build them