General Election - Housing Manifestos

I didn’t have an anonymous source. You’re coming across as a bit dim. Is it the word anonymous?

You are differentiating between economic ‘experts’ as provided by the media. On the grounds that you like/don’t like their opinion. You’re coming across as dim and obstinate.

Do you understand the word anonymous?

Yes. Here’s an example: @glasagusban refused to name his source. She/he/it remained anonymous.

Now you’ve made up another piece of information. Dig up, stupid.

Ok. Your last few posts have been not debating/rebutting any points. You’ve resorted to abuse, calling me, ‘stupid’, ‘dim’ and a ‘smart Alec’. Thankfully, I’m resilient and won’t let this affect me but it’s a nasty side to you I hope we see less of.

You’ve been trying to score points off me based on your own misunderstanding for a series of posts now. But I’m glad you’re resilient.

Get a room lads

Approval has been given for work to advance on a major new social housing development and ancillary services in the heart of Portlaoise town.

The project at Church Avenue in Portlaoise is made possible by the gifting of the site to the local authority free-of-charge by the Presentation Sisters.

Their only stipulation was that the site be used for social housing for the benefit of the community.

It is a proposal which has been in discussion and under consideration for a long time and it is now finally coming to fruition.

The Council are partnering with Sophia Housing the approved housing body to make it all happen. The budget is about €10 million and the new accommodation could come available towards the second half of 2021.

The residential development on the former convent site envisages 52 dwelling units, consisting of 4 houses and 48 apartments in 6 separate blocks contained on the 1.35 hectare site at Church Avenue in Portlaoise.

The development will involve a new access road from Church Avenue at the existing school entrance.

The project will include the conservation and redevelopment of the former Presentation Convent building which is a protected structure and the Sacred Heart school buildings. Some of the buildings to be preserved and restored date back to the 1860’s.

Hang on - do people typically pay for houses in Portlaoise? Intentionally?

This has been highlighted constantly for the past 4 years or more. The average cost of a house is more than the average amount of mortgage attainable. Something needs to give. Plenty of suggestions and measures have been put forward, but nothing has been done.

With the growth in housing developments, I’ve been part of a few large scale housing projects. One of which is also in Portlaoise (@myboyblue and @tallback) and another on the outskirts of Dublin, nearly 450 housing units in that one. I’m definitely seeing more housing projects come through, however all of them still privately lead, albeit the larger scale project developer does sell units back to the state.

450 houses is some lot of people to house in one area too and personally, I wouldnt be convinced local amenities etc would handle such a jump in population, but sure we need houses. The one thing that gets forgotten about is the infrastructure and necessities to ensure that the people moving into these houses can be supported long term. But sure why think about that. Build more houses.

You’re responsible for little Poland in Kilminchy?

no, hasnt started yet. not far from the GAA offices.

Informative

Could we do both?

We should. But we dont. And no one seems to care about that either, from any party.

There’s a big development recently been announced in Limerick up near the train station where they are putting in all the new amenities and other infrastructure first or in conjunction with with a big amount of new housing.

But that may be roads or simple things that get through planning. An influx of 400 plus houses increases school potential by a lot where in a lot of areas schools are already busting at the seams. And simple things like shops and public transport facilities. Roads and “amenity” buildings or sticking in a creche get them through the fast track planning, but long term, you’ll see these towns or areas in a few years with people complaining about the lack of school places and public transport etc. And none of these additional costs get factored in with the actual cost of the housing development.

1 Like

This is the development, schools and all are being planned as a part of it.

As an aside, projections are there for very significant population growth in Ireland over a relatively short number of years. The government needs to provide infrastructure and capacity for this, this is separate to housing development, although of course there should be coherence.

1 Like