George Lee

I did but you didn’t offer any ideas for me to bring into my tent.

Yeah, I’m not proud of that one in retrospect. In my defence, I got very little sleep after the Superbowl and was at work for 12 hours today. In fact, I’m going to bed!

Vinny’s taking Georgie to school here. It turns out that he was involved in policy debates and he thinks the country needs ‘investment’. Nice and specific there. Oh, and he seems to be against export-led growth. No wonder the boys weren’t listening to him.

Watched the Frontline thing. Must say I like Ivan Yates and Noel Whelan even though I wouldn’t agree with them. Though I’m pretty sure Whelan ran unsuccessfully as a FF candidate before and wasn’t elected so he isn’t exactly a neutral political analyst and neither is Yates obviously.

Politics like many things is a game. Media is also a game. Seems like George Lee felt he was better at the media game rather than the politics one. He said himself he could have more impact as a broadcaster rather than a backbench TD. He probably made the right decision too for himself.

As Varadkar correctly pointed out communication is a two way thing. Also Lee produced little or nothing in the way of papers or proposals. He got disillusioned pretty quick it seems, like all media types full of his own self importance but like any manager Kenny failed to get the most out of him or it seems any of those that aren’t on the front bench. If he knew his party and trusted his position as leader of it he should have seen Lee was unsettled and tried to right that wrong immediately. Varadkar said he knew Lee was unhappy so surely Kenny did too. A pity as I felt Lee could have done the State some service from the inside pissing out rather than the outside pissing in.

The Irish political system isn’t the only system in the world that rewards talent ahead of politicing, networking and nepotism. Do you honestly think John Delaney was sought out because of his suitability to manage the FAI? An accident that George Bush became US president? Politics isn’t about legislation unfortunately and never will be, its about power . It’s about 90% getting into a position to implement change and 10% if even that of providing good government. A good politican is someone like Micheal Martin who crawled through all that shit and at the end of it implemented a smoking ban that will benefit Irish society for generations. George Lee evidently wasn’t one of those.

“Interviewing ‘circus performers’” :smiley:

The muzzle is off tonight. Your man from fine gael made the mistake of using the word ‘serious’ and he nearly ripped the face off him.

Vincent is like a pre-1993 greyhound.

Any chance George might move to TV3?

Who’s this beardy mucksavage on Vinnys show?

i think the beardy urbanite you are referring to is fingals own James o reilly

I actually despise shows about politics (as distinct from policy). They are a waste of time generally.

Yeah, jesus he’s fair cranky tonight. The wife must have him on a diet.

Pat Rabbitte fairly tore Browne a new one last week and he didnt know which way to turn.

Must be said though this TV3 show is a better one than Frontline. Suppose the fact that Pat Kenny is a State employee and that Lee is looking for a job back with RTE would always cloud that debate

It’s more that Vinny is a sound man and Pat Kenny is a cunt.

You serious? He’s a dub? I had him pegged as being a weirdo from Westmeath or Roscommon or somewhere.

James O’Reilly’s natural calling lies in fronting a Dubliners tribute band.

:rolleyes:

nearly sure he is a born & bred fingalian

So he is a muldoon then?

http://jamesreilly.finegael.ie/rep-images/ReillyJ.jpg

Photoshop is great really!

is is true you were thrown out of the band because you were too frugral

Could you speak in English please?

Very black and white there. Think Pat Kenny is generally good at current affairs but a discussion about George Lee on RTE is obviously compromised.

What makes Vincent Browne a sound man? An awful amount of the show has been about him so far. Pity someone hasn’t pointed out that under John Bruton Vinny sought a FG nomination and was told to fuck off. In that sense his smug attitude tonight has to be taken into account also.

im typing not speaking :rolleyes: