Germany Backers Thread

Germany v Holland was toxic in the 80s /90s . Not sure how bad it is now .

Germany v France was nasty in the 80s

I think with the globalisation of football , more multicultural societies in Europe and the passage of time the toxicity of international rivalries has diminished

Christ that’s an evisceration

Eh no, that was you

Christ that was a mugging off, hijacking their own song, ooft

You’ve taken a sample of one German and extrapolated it to the entire German public.

I’ve already given you the reasons for why he’s not talking on the level.

Germans as a whole are very reluctant to engage in outward nationalism, particularly against historical war rivals, for obvious reasons, because the country still exists under a sort of cloud of national shame.

Their nationalism really only tends to manifest itself against countries with whom they have no historical enmity, such as Argentina, or Holland. But make no mistake, the rivalry with England is deadly. The way a lot of Germans internalise it is to set England up as living in a war past, as a hubristic, self-unaware country who see Germany as a one way enemy. That has more than a grain of truth to it. But it’s also a form of mental denial, as well as trolling. The psychological dimensions of it are quite complicated.

Wonder what’s changed @the_man_himself mindset since 2018 World Cup. TFK can affect the weakminded

He seems to use TFK speak a lot as well. Another sure sign

I’ve taken a sample of one German, you have taken a sample of zero Germans

Huh? I don’t care who wins the match this evening. I have watched 1 of England’s 3 games so far and will miss the second half of the game this evening

Believe what you want to believe. Raphael has.

You’re taking your own advice anyway, based on nothing

why are you getting so worked up about it, or about how others will enjoy it ?

How am I getting worked up about it? All I did was tell a few home truths and the little Englanders piled in

more TFK speak.

Ok mate, enjoy pretending not to watch the match later -

1 Like

I’m going to a match later. I would like to see the second half but more important business is at hand

If Southgate wasn’t so repressed, England would probably win this comfortably, Germany are creaking and slow in all the wrong places. If he just let the handbrake off, they could finish off this iteration of Germany. Lads like Hummels and Kroos have serious mileage, Gundogan has no pace. They’ve a lack of pace in the selected eleven. They’ve serious pace alright but on the bench and in attacking areas.

Germany-Holland is a massive rivalry, perhaps marginally Germany’s biggest. England is up there with it. Argentina after that because that has developed through playing them several times at World Cups, 1990 was the key showdown in developing that rivalry. Italy are big rivals but in a football sense only. Spain has latterly developed into similar type of rivalry.

The German rivalry with France has some of the historical baggage that the rivalry with England does but the French don’t play up the war aspect of it nearly as much as the English do.

do you remember Rijkaard gobbing all over Rudi Voller in 88/90? That was one of the most disgusting scenes i’ve ever seen on a pitch

International rivalries in soccer are like inter county GGA rivalries - a little overplayed and relatively rarely played out.

Club rivalries far far more bitter and regular . Celtic v Rangers , Sevilla v Betis , Bohs v Rovers , Ajax v Feyenoord are real rivalries

Yes - that stemmed from the 1988 euro semi thst was very bitter . Also the Germans at Inter & the Dutch at Milan added to it

Netherland are obsessed with Germany. A lot of it to do with the supine efforts of the Dutch during the War when they practically waved them in. Netherlands have never beaten Germany where it matters in a World Cup. The Germans don’t take the clog wearers seriously.

1 Like