Getting a dog

We have this house for free from her brother, mate. Every Collie owner we spoke to said Collies don’t need a garden but I feel the same as you, I’d like it to have a garden.

Jaysus ye spent every penny on the wedding and can’t even put a roof over your own head?

2 Likes

This is also on the things against side…could be in the next year or so.

Of course you do

1 Like

Did I say that? If you’ve nothing to add here about the dog, fuck off.

This new “are replying” feature at the end of the thread is magnificent entertainment

3 Likes

Well if that’s the case I would hold off on the dog until after the nipper arrives. Maybe posters like @Juhniallio can confirm or deny but I have heard stories of dogs actually getting jealous when a kid arrives.

Yeah, this is a concern… Dog would be relegated for a while. Just means you’re talking 5/6 years before getting a dog and we are both animal lovers and would love one… But priorities first I suppose…

Don’t get a dog. You’ll be handing it into the pound in a year. You’ll have all your life to get an animal that will suit your way of life, so don’t ruin a dogs life now.

4 Likes

I’d never send a dog to a pound but there’s a lot of solid cold honesty to your point. Like I said, head says no …trying to convince heart .

The answer is no so

Don’t compound your stupidity in spunking all your money on a wedding by making a dog live in a flat, it’s cruel.

Wait until you can afford to buy or rent a house with a garden before you get a dog.

You and your family will love and a cherish a dog when the circumstances are right. Don’t put that prospect at risk by having a negative experience with a dog now.

2 Likes

A collie isn’t a house dog. Get yourself a little miniature Yorkie or something if it’s going to be kept in the house all day.

1 Like

Who is in a flat? And every single expert on dogs has said the space doesn’t matter once the dog is exercised.

I don’t think @caoimhaoin ever said that

4 Likes

Rough Collie…Not a lunatic border collie…

Who is in a flat? And every single expert on dogs has said the space doesn’t matter once the dog is exercised.

You are approaching 40 and youve just gotten married.
You should be having childeren not buying dogs

1 Like

The Oirish are gas when it comes to dogs. Think they need five acres out the back. You go over to the continent and they all have big dogs living happily in apartments.

My dog has a ridiculously big back lawn for city/suburbs (you’d easily fit another house and a half oh it) but it doesn’t stop him from being a complete Lunatic. He’s at his happiest when chilling out indoors or on a supervised walk or run around. He’s great craic and at stressful times, there’s nothing better than walking a dog.

A lot of people get them as training for potentially having kids. That was part of our logic along with some emotional manipulation from the life partner

Apparently the golden retriever is great with kids. A friend of mine got one a year before their first was born and there wasn’t a bother out of him

2 Likes