Getting a dog

Labs are a great dog full stop. Take it if you are being offered it. The cousin had an open enough field behind her house so she got the electric collar for the dog. Swears by it. Some people think it’s cruel but apparently the dogs cop on quick enough.

3 Likes

I had a couple of them about 20 years ago. Beautiful dogs.
Also had them in a large field and put those collars on them with no issue at all once they got the hang of it. They had plenty of freedom and you have headspace knowing they won’t wander off.

3 Likes

My lab would barely leave the garden even if he could, a fabulous dog, a hungry fucker but a gorgeous temperament.

3 Likes

@gilgamboa I had an Innotek radio fence for my previous German Shepherd. An excellent product and after a while the dog copped his limitations and it wasn’t required.
Good recall and better time spent training the latest pup meant I dont use it at all.
But yes, they are a good investment. Take the time to set it up correctly and training the pup into it also. This prevents undue stress to the pup.
Labs are brilliant, take it and have fun.

1 Like

I found the collars work good, especially for smaller dogs.

If bigger dogs get excited and get a head of steam up they’ll just burst through it before they get a shock. So during training make sure there is some sort of a barrier just to slow them down. An obvious perimeter. Like an open gate might be a bad option during training. If you get me.

2 Likes

I love an oul’ Labrador, they’re simply a lovely, loyal dog but I’m happiest when they have a bit of a life for themselves rather than being ‘house dogs’ and asked to live in constricted spaces. They need room to run and express themselves and weighing it up I’d advocate against it. They’re a cracking dog and I know you have a kind heart but who’s thinking of the dog in all this. You’ll plough ahead I know so the best of luck with him.

4 Likes

If twas up to me there would be no dog for that exact reason. But iv only a small vote in all these things. I’m also the likely walker of said dog 340 of the 365 days of the year so at least a bit of exercise to be had with it

I do have about a third of an acre out the back alright that he can run around in

3 Likes

They usually come with a set of flags that you place 24/30 inches inside the actual fence boundary so the dog will relate the flags to the collar reaction to its boundary.

Fabulous for bonding with the pup. You’ll be the boss in its eyes.

1 Like

If you have children you’ll be doing them an enormous favor getting them a dog, especially a lab because they are so loyal. You’d be surprised too as to who might walk it because they are easily walked. Also they love an owl river or a bit of seaside and they can be amused endlessly chasing a ball thrown into water. I had a lab for a good 12 years and I wouldn’t regret a second of it. Even having to pick up the massive piles of shite after it and the hassles about finding a home for it when I went on holidays

6 Likes

My lab loves to swim but he’s had two doses of swimmers tail which is quite painful.

As regards the garden @gilgamboa
We used to have a lovely back garden, we were quite proud of it and it remained nice when we got the terrier
Now it’s like no man’s land in Flanders, the lab is a big beast

2 Likes

Today’s fun. He was not letting go :grinning:

4 Likes

Learned something new today. Never heard of it thankfully :+1:

Me neither :man_shrugging:t5:

As I said ‘thankfully’, you couldn’t keep this lad out of the water.

9 Likes

I’m aware of the flags. But my point is the flags are no good when they get excited. Boundary, boundary, boundary.

1 Like

If rushes could be converted into something useful like insulation or a fuel like diesel we’d be onto something.

1 Like

With time spent at training, combine recall training and treat reward, be grand.
I do take your point though, my brother has a rottweiller that needed a much stronger than your average dog collar to hem in.

We’d be winning :sunglasses: :grinning:

1 Like

You Browns must be rotten with money or sitting on a raft of valuable artworks such is the levels of security. Large, aggressive looking canines and every possibility of a shotgun just under the table….

3 Likes