Getting On The Property Ladder vs The Dreaded Commute

We’re not talking whitewash here, Farrow & Ball, while having a great colour choice and top quality, would cost you the bones of €2/3k if you went with their paint.
You’re hardly going to skimp on the paint if you’re already committing to the granite tops and 12’ island.

3 Likes

@Corksfinedtboy don’t come cheap

Ya, a single fella or a couple moving into a half finished house is fine, but if you have kids it nearly all needs to be done.

Someday your good wife will introduce you to Colourtrend.

3 Likes

Set aside 10k for a decent quartz island with integrated plumbing, power points and CAT6 cabling.

11 Likes

The one unforseen cost that broke my heart in house building was 7k for scaffolding. I innocently assumed the lads would man up and manage with a few ladders and the odd plank put across round bales if they needed. Seven fucking grand.

6 Likes

We are 95% finished with our new kitchen Christ we were so naive when we bought our first house as young people we moved in without anything but the kitchen was ready. Anyway it’s worth it now and we’ve put our stamp on it and feels like our house now😮

4 Likes

There was a thing in Celtic Tiger days that it was cheaper to buy the scaffold and sell it after it was so expensive to get a fella to put it up and rent it. And god forbid the time ran over which it always did and the scaffolder milking you dry

Young @Crutches has a way to go with this yet. The driveway won’t come chape, the stone piers won’t build themselves, the pair of brass eagles perched atop will be compulsory you’d think and then we’re down to the electronic wrought iron gates to keep out other lads selling gates. And we’re only outside still. I’m seeing 50 large, minimum, but we’ll see.

3 Likes

:laughing:

He’ll be wanting an archipelago.

The Farrow and Ball 6 euro testers focus the mind.

4 Likes

Elephants breath

4 Likes

Cooking apple green or Nancy’s flushes * were all the rage years ago.

• May be blushes actually. What class of fuckwits think up these names?
1 Like

Clever ones who arent aiming it at you

2 Likes

Herself just went through twenty eight (28) of these for the bedroom and lounge before picking one for each (I just kept telling her to get whatever she wanted after going through the rigmarole of being asked what I thought, picking a yellowy one, and being told no.
When the painter came round he said not to mind that stuff, he could get a near identical colour match for half the price. 🤷

4 Likes

Painting the outside of the house isn’t too bad price wise. Inside is a dear job. Especially if it’s the first time it’s being painted.

We had a heap of pine in house when we bought it, missus wanted it all painted white… Doors, stairs, wall panels etc… I would be embarrassed to tell you how much it cost

Bones of 5 grand to get the house done the first time by a professional, between labour and the cost of the paint.

I had a fella supposed to be doing it for me last year for €120 a day. He said it would take 7 days.

It’s taken closer to 400 days cause there’s been no sign of him since.

15 Likes

I paid about that… And didnt get the entire inside painted for it

1 Like