Getting On The Property Ladder vs The Dreaded Commute

[QUOTE=“Kinvara’s Passion, post: 1060748, member: 686”]+1

International scum.[/QUOTE]

What would international scum get up to? Hanging round robbing the batteries out of cars and the likes?

As good a thread as any for this

http://www.thejournal.ie/ger-eaton-cool-house-carnival-brothers-1909711-Feb2015/?utm_source=shortlink

[QUOTE=“Mac, post: 1085224, member: 109”]As good a thread as any for this

http://www.thejournal.ie/ger-eaton-cool-house-carnival-brothers-1909711-Feb2015/?utm_source=shortlink[/QUOTE]
Fagan?

How big a deal is an east or north-east facing back garden, guys? A total no-no? I’ve been south or south-west facing my entire life to date.

How big a garden is it?

Off the top of my head about 30-35ft. Assume you’re not gonna get evening sunshine unless you’re right at the back of the garden and even then it won’t be much.

That’s it exactly mate. How much time do you plan on spending in the garden anyway? We don’t really get that much sun at the best of times

Kitchen and living areas usually at back of house. That’s more the issue than the back garden

1 Like

A very valid comment.

This is purely anecdotal and has no grounding in facts but in some areas of Dublin I can see a price differential of about 15-20% for similar properties and the only significant difference I can see is whether it’s south / south west facing versus east / north east facing.

@KinvarasPassion is there a block on non locals building one off houses in areas such as kinvara or barna etc ?

Apparently so, though the utter shite the locals are allowed to build is beyond belief.

Ps, check the bypass proposed route if you are planning on barna. May never be built, but I’d say it slightly more likely will, and your rural idyll could end up as more suitable for an esso station.

1 Like

My shiny new house faces East. Sun in the Kitchen window[which I’ll admit is atypical to have at the front of the house] in the morning and lighting up the garden and sun-room at the back of the house in the afternoon and evening. It’s pretty ideal.

1 Like

Ways around this ? Renting local for a while ? Buy and rebuild ?

It’s pretty difficult alright from what I know but @Ambrose_McNulty would be more update and might offer a better insight

1 Like

Galway County Council gave a colleague of mine planning for a passive house. Vast majority of heat is generated from solar gain through south facing windows.

Now they have given planning to Mr X adjacent to my colleagues site and solar gain is reduced by over 70% according to his engineer.

Go figure.

3 Likes

To balance it out a bit

According to the Vastu Shastra, an ancient doctrine that illustrates the laws of how nature affects human dwellings, north-facing houses draw positive energy into the house, and the resulting positive energy creates healthy vibrations and ensures the prosperity of the inhabitants.

1 Like

Where are you looking BT? It’s my main to do this year. Looking forward to moving and dreading the process in equal measure.

The Galway way!

1 Like

Typical