Getting On The Property Ladder vs The Dreaded Commute

I heard the person who wrote that died roaring

1 Like

Ouch. But surely he have reckoned with the potential for a building to go up nextdoor when he was planning this?

Surely the planners should have blocked it more like.

Blocked what? The other house? Why? You don’t have a right to a view and right to light is fairly limited. “Planning pets mission denied because it would affect the heating bill nextdoor” doesn’t sound like a very valid reason to me.

Renting locally isn’t a huge heap of use. You can either pay through the nose for a site with pp already, but beware any enurement clause, of buy a wreck and renovate, but it may need a bit of care also.
As far as I understand it, local need requires school records of yourself, etc etc to show that you are indeed local, and also that you need to build there. They prefer energy neutral type places. I can get you a few numbers of local planning lads but you could spend a few quid and get nowhere.
Barna as a designated village may be easier but I’m not certain. Sites with pp seem to be about 150-200k for a decent site. There is a monstrosity under construction on the barna to Moycullen Road which would make you believe, given its lovely setting, and scarcely believable ugliness, that you can build just about anything in the right circumstances.

I see . Sites with pp are of no interest unfortunately.

Give the right envelope to the right person.

1 Like

How the fuck is it constitutional to limit planning permission to houses to locals? We are all citizens and should have same right to build.

Common enough in a lot of places now I think. I thought originally it was to prevent empty holiday homes

i know EU raised issues with it about ten years ago and law reform commission looked at it

Amazed nobody has challenged it and won as it looks discriminatory without any real legitimate objective basis

No need to get so menstrual about it, pet.

1 Like

South Dublin and within a reasonable commute of the city center, pal. I probably prefer convenience to the city over space.

Not really looking seriously yet though, might hold off for another year or two to save some more cash.

Exact same. Although I do expect to make a move in the next year rather than waiting much longer.

In your opinion

All the ballsy guys are moving now . Price rises will out strip your savings even for a big hitter like yourself.

Are you defending inequality? Discrimination based on residency requirements.

Fantastic.

Big, rural house with 40-50 min commute versus urban house with 20 min commute?

The longer in the tooth I get, the more I find urban living a pain in the hoop.

1 Like

I hate inequality. And discrimination.

No you don’t

1 Like

Marry a local

I hate the County of Kilkenny too, pal. It’s full of that stuff.