GGA player has depression

Really? So you don’t think putting a load of effort into something and getting little back in reward may not be detrimental to ones health?

Well at least we solved the stupid cunt conundrum.

Being part of a team, having a focus, being very physically got etc is great. But continually missing family events or examining to the missus time apart or dictated to recovery sessions or Christmas Day sessions gets very hard without reward.

More speculative bullshit.

That’s largely not true. The guys on easy street are few and far between as evidenced by Darran o Sullivan who was told he had to do 35/40 hours a week to justify his job. Many others the same. It’s largely only in ulster and dublin they go down that forever college or doing pretend jobs. There are virtually nobody at that in KK or cork or anywhere else.
I hve seen Alan O Connor run out of his van in his work gear cos he’s late to training. Shane O Neill the same. And while there is benefits no doubt, it’s far from easy for most IC players

More personal experience, 2nd hand experience & anecdotal to be honest

Eh. An awful lot of these lads are teachers which is a summer off and probably about a 30 hour working week. What does Colm O’Neill or Brian Hurley do? Shag all I’d imagine. From talking to a guy who works for AIB he informs me that Gooch hasn’t done a proper days work in his life.

Loads of guys playing Sigerson all around the country in their late 20s. How many others are sorted out with games development roles and such by their county boards and GAA where they justify their salary by turning up for 10 hours a week? These lads are awful freeloaders and it’s poppycock to say that is consigned to Dublin and Ulster. The biggest con are the lads who “work” in sales who might do about two days a week, they come and go as they please.

These lads play county football not just for the love of the game and to win something but for the perks that go along with it. You’d want to see that fucking mong Aaron Kernan prancing round the spot, I doubt he ever did a days work in his life.

Lads are using being a county player these days as a reason not to work. How many Kerry players have packed in their day jobs to play football thus year? How can guys who presumably have mortgages and families afford to not have a job and what’s worse - choose not to?

What is Tommy Walsh working at since coming back from Australia?

I’m depressed reading this shite.

To answer your question @TheUlteriorMotive- TJ Ryan has had a nervous breakdown after Limerick’s collapse this year. His nerves are shot.

2 Likes

I worked with a lad once who had a nervous breakdown. I noticed nothing unusual about him except eating ice creams at his desk pretty much most days. Did TJ eat ice creams at training ?

He liked to let them melt in a mug so he could drink them…was always walking around with a big mug of ice-cream and an old black wolly hat and wellies on.

4 Likes

Somebody start a “People Nembo Kid knows” thread.

Fucking hell if the Gooch can’t get away with letting a bit of work slide in Kerry, then no one has any hope. A former Armagh footballer got away with it for years in Dublin.

1 Like

That chap made kung fu movies by day, I think.

Really? I thought he just ate fruit on the side.

He liked to live on the edge.

You are about 10 year too late with that pub drivel. No doubt a few lads are in extended college, but again that’s mostly a nordie thing.
Tommy Walsh is working and studying to be a tax accountant up in Cork (he calls into my woman regularly for coffee), they couldn’t get him work in Kerry or work that he wante at least. That’s the reality. David Moran is doing something similar. The people in those companies don’t give much of a fuck about who he is. Ask any of the lads here who have worked in one of the large accountancy firms, or indeed done the exams. I tell you I have seen lads I coached and many friend go thru it and it’s no joke. Playing Inter County Football in another county is actually totally mental on too of that. So you are talking utter rubbish on that front. AIB have completely clamped down on lads doing nothing, people were losing their jobs and were not going to stand for those lads twiddling their thumbs.
The sales rep thing is largely fucked as well as companies want to see numbers and you can’t get the numbers if you are semi-pro sales and semi-pro football. It doesn’t work. Guys who are tradesmen are virtually gone from the game, but Alan O Connor is a great example. I would guess a few years ago he said it was too much, put a bit of time into his business and was maybe then at a position of stability that he could say yes to Cutbert. That’s me speculating, but you still see him spinning in late to training in work gear, he ain’t doing it easy.
Farmers are even rarer.
Most of these lads are high achievers, it’s the only way most get to the highest level anymore. They are organised and focused. They get their protein shakes and meals ready for the week on a Sunday or Monday. They have routine down to the last.

The reason there is a surge of lads doing the 8 year college thing is 2-fold. One you’ll get nowhere these days in the professional world with just a degree, you have to specialize in something, you have to be valuable. I know lads begging to get involved in schools sports teams with the hope that they’d get one of those semi-permanent contracts and try would be of value. Being a teacher is not a fucking doddle now. It can be mentally very draining. And the other thing with staying in college is for some it’s the only possible way of maintaining an Inter County career as they don’t recover well, can’t get the work or don’t want to be a slave to 2 masters. That’s the reality.

You are talking thru your hole and very naively.

4 Likes

@caoimhaoin has destroyed a number of high profile posters and @carryharry here

5 Likes

That’s the only part of your post that’s incorrect, the rest is spot on

ok,ill stop you there.

gga inter county players are not in anyway more committed than gym monkeys,triathelets or junior aul footballers.
stop talking shit

the oirish hockey team for example train every morning at 6.00 and take a rake of unpaid leave

spare me the hyperbole

3 Likes

Walsh and Moran work in EY in Cork

And I respect the hockey for that commitment. What’s your point?