GGA Player Power Part II

Yeah I was high up that end of the ground, gasps all around and muted applause. Incredible angle.

Canavan is definitely the most exciting forward I’ve ever seen. He’s the only Gaelic Football player that reminded me of Maradona - he had a low centre of gravity and despite being fairly light was almost impossible to knock off the ball. Very fast, two-footed and had an unrivalled repertoire of dummies. He absolutely carried an average Tyrone team on his back in the mid-90’s and was very unfortunate that he picked up quite a lot of injuries at crucial times - or rather they were inflicted upon him.

I remember something similar with McDonald versus the Dubs in 2006 - scoring a sideline ball with the outside of his left boot. Was sitting right behind it and much of the crowd couldn’t believe what they saw.

That’s not to take away from O’Neill now - superb footballer.

Biased but Matty Forde. Scored a similar if not better score v Offaly a la Fitzgerald stylee.
Has unreal talent and skill with a football.

Best footballer I ever saw though is Peter Canavan.

What about Colm McCullaghs outside of the boot 12 yards from the endline with his bad foot!!!
Kerry and tyrone are bringing football to another level. Cork, Dublin and Galway are the only ones capable of even thinking about staying with them. Maybe Armagh are heading that way as well and are becoming are better “footballing” side.

Mulligan looked sharp as well the other night.

One Tyrone player that I rate very highly and love to watch is Brian McGuigan, has superb vision and has silky ball skills…not a big lad by any means but a dinger of a centre forward…Has come back from some injury hell in 2006 and 2007…I wonder how highly he would be rated if he had of stayed fit and kept up the form he showed from 2002-2005…

Was robbed of an all star in 2005

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Meehan showed his class last summer in the best individual performance in Croker in the Championship. Up until then though he had been quiet enough on the big stage for me.
[/quote]

harsh…remember him running amok against Cork in croker in a qualifier back in '04 or '05…finished on losing side but bagged about 2-3…

[quote=“caoimhaoin”]What about Colm McCullaghs outside of the boot 12 yards from the endline with his bad foot!!!
Kerry and tyrone are bringing football to another level. Cork, Dublin and Galway are the only ones capable of even thinking about staying with them. Maybe Armagh are heading that way as well and are becoming are better “footballing” side.

Mulligan looked sharp as well the other night.[/quote]

I pray that Tyrone and Kerry meet in the semi-final this year. If Tyrone win it again this year they will be the second best team of all-time in my book.

One game out of many.

Anyway - this is all irrelevant now. He showed doubters such as me what he was all about last summer against Kerry.

Pure class.

[quote=“The Puke”]One Tyrone player that I rate very highly and love to watch is Brian McGuigan, has superb vision and has silky ball skills…not a big lad by any means but a dinger of a centre forward…Has come back from some injury hell in 2006 and 2007…I wonder how highly he would be rated if he had of stayed fit and kept up the form he showed from 2002-2005…

Was robbed of an all star in 2005[/quote]

agreed…Maguigan is the ideal centre forward…moves the ball so fast and so accurately to the inside forwards and drags the centre back all over the park…class act…Macdonald always had to take a hop and a solo and ride a tackle before lining up a hollywood pass…

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]One game out of many.

Anyway - this is all irrelevant now. He showed doubters such as me what he was all about last summer against Kerry.

Pure class.[/quote]

Really don’t know what your on about here. Meehan has been scoring and class since his first senior game. Maybe Galways profile hasn’t been that high, but he has certainly been doing his stuff.

Mattie Forde isn’t as good as Maurice Fitz.

I would agree with that.

Harte obviously then would have to be considered as one of the greatest managers after the likes of O’Dywer. To be honest I think he is already there.

Boylan would have to get a mention as well with what he did with two or maybe even three different Meath teams. Never liked him though!

Who said he was?

A gifted footballer.

[quote=“caoimhaoin”]Really don’t know what your on about here. Meehan has been scoring and class since his first senior game. Maybe Galways profile hasn’t been that high, but he has certainly been doing his stuff.
[/quote]

Would have seen him quiet a bit in Connacht and while good, he never reached the heights that say Joyce did when he was at his peak.

Looking back on it that was some Meath team of the late 80’s and early 90’s. It remained pretty almost unchanged from 86-91. Probably the hardest team to ever play the game but they had serious class as well. The full forward line of O’Rourke, Stafford and Flynn was unreal.

After Dublin hammered them in 1995 it looked like it was all over for Boylan and that Meath would be down for a few years but the fuckers came back and won it the next year. Boylan had this ability to pull rabbits out of the hat in crucial games - usually lads from some junior club in the arsehole of nowhere who would play brilliantly.

I hated Boylan’s Meath teams at the time but I’d love them to come back as a force now. Dublin v Meath is the real rivalry in Leinster and winning titles by beating the likes of Wexford, Laois and Offaly isn’t the same.

thats been Meaths problem for the last few years, they still think they are a force in Leinster and ‘the likes of Wexford, Laois and Offaly’ are all muck and pushovers for them. Wexford have beaten Meath in 2 championship games and 3 league games in the last 4 years, but still think they are above us. Their arrogance knows no bounds, and after beating them in Carlow last year, I have no sympathy for them anymore.

[quote=“sid waddell”]Looking back on it that was some Meath team of the late 80’s and early 90’s. It remained pretty almost unchanged from 86-91. Probably the hardest team to ever play the game but they had serious class as well. The full forward line of O’Rourke, Stafford and Flynn was unreal.
[/quote]

McQuillan,
O’Malley, Lyons, Ferguson
Foley, Harnon, O’Connell
Hayes, McEntee
Beggy, ?, Gilic?
O’Rourke, Stafford, Flynn

Who on earth was their centre forward? Did Gilic always get his game? Where dod Joe Cassells fit in?

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]McQuillan,
O’Malley, Lyons, Ferguson
Foley, Harnon, O’Connell
Hayes, McEntee
Beggy, ?, Gilic?
O’Rourke, Stafford, Flynn

Who on earth was their centre forward? Did Gilic always get his game? Where dod Joe Cassells fit in?[/quote]

Cassells went after captaining them in '88 I think. Tommy Dowd came into the forwards around 1990 and Colm Coyle was used as a utilty player too. A couple of other players like Padraig Lyons, Mattie McCabe and later Brendan Reilly would have been on the fringes of the team.

Edit; Cassels was centre forward up to 88. Dowd was defo in that position in 91.

Absolutely agree.
I thought the Dub fans were the only shower of scumbags!

Joe Cassells farmer is the missing link. I used love that Metah team when I was a chap. One of my first all irelands was in 87. and was at 2 of the Dublin games in 1990 as well.

edit: it was 91 those games were.

just found these teams on net.

All-Ireland Final 1987

While Cork started well in this final, Mick Lyons blocked a sure goal in the first quarter and Colm O’Rourke scored at the other end 7 minutes later to leave Meath leading 1-6 to 0-8 at half-time and taking the honours 1-14 to 0-11 at the full-time whistle.

Meath: M. McQuillan, R. O’Malley, M. Lyons, T. Ferguson, K. Foley, L. Harnan, M. O’Connell, L. Hayes, G. McEntee, D. Beggy, J. Cassells, P.J. Gillic, C. O’Rourke, B. Stafford, B. Flynn.
Subs: C. Coyle for Cassells, P. Lyons for O’Connell.

All-Ireland Final 1988

Meath and Cork were to meet again in 1988, twice. The first game finished level Meath 0-12 Cork 1-9. Brian Stafford scoring the equalising point from a free awarded to David Beggy 30 seconds from the end. The Replay was a tough game and Meath were down to 14 men after 6 minutes when Gerry McEntee was sent off. They only trailed by a point 0-6 to 0-5 at half-time. the final score was 0-13 to 0-12 in favour of Meath.

Meath: M. McQuillan, R. O’Malley, M. Lyons, T. Ferguson, C. Coyle, L. Harnan, M. O’Connell, L. Hayes, G. McEntee, D. Beggy, J. Cassells, P.J. Gillic, C. O’Rourke, B. Stafford, B. Flynn.
Subs: M. McCabe for Gillic.

All-Ireland Final 1990

Meath and Cork met for the third time in four years in the 1990 final and finally managed to put one over on the Royal County. This time Cork lost a player early in the match and although Meath battled hard the victory went to Cork.

Meath: Donal Smyth, Robbie O’Malley, Mick Lyons, Terry Ferguson, Brendan Reilly, Kevin Foley, Martin O’Connell, Liam Hayes, Gerry McEntee, David Beggy, P.J. Gillic, Colm Brady, Colm O’Rourke, Brian Stafford, Bernard Flynn.
Subs: Colm Coyle for Brady, Joe Cassells for McEntee and Tommy Dowd for Beggy.

All-Ireland Final 1991

The Final in 1991 was overshadowed to some extent by the campaign through Leinster as Meath and Dublin played 4 games before Meath finally won, and then Wicklow also took Meath to a replay. Roscommon only lost the Semi-Final by a point 0-15 to 1-11. The final was played against Down and was another hard-fought contest which Meath lost on a score-line of 1-16 to 1-14.