GGA Players-Lazy,fat and dandy

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/jerry-kiernan-critical-gaa-players-scheme-payment-796487-Feb2013/

Jerry Kiernan :smiley:

it is an interesting point he is making tho.
GAA players whilst they are lauded for their sacrifces and whatnot never compete outide the UK so in theory it is not an international sport and realistically it only is practiced on the island of ireland
Kiernan’s is asking why GAA players are held as sporting heroes here and some bloke who kiernan is training wins an international event and no one gives a fuck?
The whole sacrifices bullshit from intercountry players would piss you off a bit allright, they choose to practice a sport that has no signifigance or competitors outisde of Ireland and Northern Ireland.
Basically Kiernan is saying is that a fella who wins the 1500m in the national athletics championships is the equivilant of winning an all ireland medal in GAA
the all ireland winners in GAA are feted as heroes for their sacrifice, etc, the lad who wins in the athletics , then trains his arse off for the worlds or european, and finishes say 15th, is then slagged off for being useless and yer man from kilkenny who played 4 games against teams like carlow and clare to win a medal in a sport that is only played comepetively isn 5 or 6 counties is hailed a hero…

we are a strange bunch allright,
id love to ask gerry what does he make of a horse, a trainer or a jockey being referred to a national hero in a sporting sense now as we are approaching the busines end of that season…

I heard you had developed a little gut over the winter alright. I’m glad Jerry has called the likes of you and Puke out on this.

Running. Serious skill in that.

Honestly, most inter-county GAA look fairly unfit. You’d wonder what a lot of these lads are doing in the gym/training grounds.

He has started to “winter well” now that he’s getting on a bit.

That’s rich coming from someone carrying a gut like yours

woh- hoooo … the banter

Everyone is on tenterhooks waiting for your next highly controversial out burst

Weightlifters, shot putters and plenty of boxers look pretty unfit to me.

[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Jerry comes across as a right bitter aul bollix in a lot of his media work. Didn’t he have some kind of spat with James Nolan at an Olympics a few years back also when he criticised his training regime. Would seem if you’re not pounding out 120+ miles a week you’re only arsing about.[/FONT][/SIZE]

I don’t think there’s much to it,

:smiley: From a lad famous for running around in a circle

“I always notice as well when they’re commenting on things they often talk about the sacrifices they make. You’ll never hear that among athletes, boxers, swimmers or people who do international running.”

:smiley: thats all you ever hear. Up early, dieting etc, etc, etc, if anything you hear about it way more from the likes of boxers etc. Not that they don’t make serious sacrifices I’m just saying Kiernan is a spastic of the highest order.

It’s a pity because he probably has a valid point re the gaa being well able to afford the €900k a year and other sports could do with the funding. Then again its not the GAA’s fault that they are well run and that Irish Athletics is run by a crowd of simpletons.

[quote=“Julio Geordio, post: 737830, member: 332”]I don’t think there’s much to it,

:smiley: From a lad famous for running around in a circle

“I always notice as well when they’re commenting on things they often talk about the sacrifices they make. You’ll never hear that among athletes, boxers, swimmers or people who do international running.”

:smiley: thats all you ever hear. Up early, dieting etc, etc, etc, if anything you hear about it way more from the likes of boxers etc. Not that they don’t make serious sacrifices I’m just saying Kiernan is a spastic of the highest order.

It’s a pity because he probably has a valid point re the gaa being well able to afford the €900k a year and other sports could do with the funding. Then again its not the GAA’s fault that they are well run and that Irish Athletics is run by a crowd of simpletons.[/quote]

:rolleyes:

7th & 9th biggest sport in terms of playing numbers
in charge of 4 sports only 1 widely played
poor crowds at games
getting a shitloads of free stadiums that are always empty
poor attitude to child protection

etc etc

The spectacular point Kiernan deliberately misses is that GAA players have to work like the rest of us whereas “elite athletes” are paid by grants to train hard.
Forgive me if I hold a GAA player in higher esteem than a freeloader getting government money to endulge a whim of finishing 15th in the European cross country championships.

[quote=“Special Olympiakos, post: 737871, member: 366”]The spectacular point Kiernan deliberately misses is that GAA players have to work like the rest of us whereas “elite athletes” are paid by grants to train hard.
Forgive me if I hold a GAA player in higher esteem than a freeloader getting government money to endulge a whim of finishing 15th in the European cross country championships.[/quote]

Do they not also compete for prize money in some instances??

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/47860_3902361376505_424008281_n.jpg

Do the runners still get scholarships to Villanova?

Shamrock Rovers obviously feel the OP is talking shit. They have got a good GAA man in training them now and are looking at GAA fitness techniques to improve the team after last years debacle.

1 Like

GGA players are overweight and mentally retarded.