Gigs coming up

Already? Cock. Dislike. :frowning:

I just had a quick look on the mobile website but it looks that way

A mate of mine is going to this.

I know nothing about them.

Except that Kurt Vile used to be in them - and I like his stuff.

Apparently their new album is a shift towards radio friendly stuff such as Springsteen or even the Eagles.

I would be running for the hills if that’s the case.

[QUOTE=“farmerinthecity, post: 951486, member: 24”]A mate of mine is going to this.

I know nothing about them.

Except that Kurt Vile used to be in them - and I like his stuff.

Apparently their new album is a shift towards radio friendly stuff such as Springsteen or even the Eagles.

I would be running for the hills if that’s the case.[/QUOTE]
They’ve always had a definite Springsteen influence on some songs. Dylan and Petty also, but the production is often closer to Orbital’s more ambient stuff.

Damo Dempsey in the National Concert Hall in July or August or something.

I really, really enjoyed this. They played for close on two hours without a break. They’re not the kind of band who put on a massive stage show, they just play, they’re not the kind of band where there’s a massive crowd involvement at gigs, but the music speaks for itself - I found it completely hypnotic. There’s a depth to their music and their sound that marks them out as something special - for my money the best band in the world right now. €20 in the best value you’ll get anywhere for any gig this year.

When is the fred wesley gig?

19 June.

Bugger. I’m away.

The Prodigy like the Pope earlier this week gave a huge two fingers to the whole BDS bullshit movement and came to visit Tel Aviv last night. I needed to let off a bit of steam so i decided to head along in. I have always being a huge fan of these guys but the closest i have gotten to seeing them live was when i met Liam Howlett checking thru security at London City airport for a flight to Luxembourg in 2010, ( documented in the celeb spot thread iIrc).
Anyway, they put on a smashing performance last night, they tore into it from the beginning with “Voodoo People” that had the whole Tel Aviv event center thumping up and down. The show was insane, Keith Flint and Maxim Reality for men in their late 40’s look very fit and they dont look like the type of guys who are into gait analysis and foam rolling, good honest to god living has had no bad effect on these lads.
The intensity of the thing continued and turned into a full blown rave at one stage as the old tunes like “No good” and “break and enter” from The Jilted Generation and then the old hardcore breakbeat classics from their critically acclaimed (well by me anyway) first album such as the aptly named “Jericho”, “wind it up” and my own personal favourite " the weather experience" had the crowd driven into an total and utter frenzy.
Flint didnt let up, he had the crowd in his hand and was all the time trying to incite mayhem and launched random verbal attacks attacks on the VIP section of the crowd. They finished up with “Their Law” and a tune from their latest album that i cant remember.
A wonderful show, 2 hours long on a balmy May night, i was drenched in sweat by the end but was buzzing from the energy , booze and smoke…
as an aside the crowd was late 20’s - 30’s and the talent was incredible.

[QUOTE=“mickee321, post: 952097, member: 367”]The Prodigy like the Pope earlier this week gave a huge two fingers to the whole BDS bullshit movement and came to visit Tel Aviv last night. I needed to let off a bit of steam so i decided to head along in. I have always being a huge fan of these guys but the closest i have gotten to seeing them live was when i met Liam Howlett checking thru security at London City airport for a flight to Luxembourg in 2010, ( documented in the celeb spot thread iIrc).
Anyway, they put on a smashing performance last night, they tore into it from the beginning with “Voodoo People” that had the whole Tel Aviv event center thumping up and down. The show was insane, Keith Flint and Maxim Reality for men in their late 40’s look very fit and they dont look like the type of guys who are into gait analysis and foam rolling, good honest to god living has had no bad effect on these lads.
The intensity of the thing continued and turned into a full blown rave at one stage as the old tunes like “No good” and “break and enter” from The Jilted Generation and then the old hardcore breakbeat classics from their critically acclaimed (well by me anyway) first album such as the aptly named “Jericho”, “wind it up” and my own personal favourite " the weather experience" had the crowd driven into an total and utter frenzy.
Flint didnt let up, he had the crowd in his hand and was all the time trying to incite mayhem and launched random verbal attacks attacks on the VIP section of the crowd. They finished up with “Their Law” and a tune from their latest album that i cant remember.
A wonderful show, 2 hours long on a balmy May night, i was drenched in sweat by the end but was buzzing from the energy , booze and smoke…
as an aside the crowd was late 20’s - 30’s and the talent was incredible.[/QUOTE]

That sounds fantastic mickee, so many great tunes listed there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHvMRyRSKGU

I got tickets for this late, didn’t know too much about them before hand, but I was blown away. The song Under the Pressure is as good a song as I’ve heard this year. Ambient with flecks of a Flock of Seagulls and the Waterboys. I closed my eyes listening to it and imagined myself in a John Hughes movie. At my age it is fucking super to hear something that would enthuse me so much.

[QUOTE=“mickee321, post: 952097, member: 367”]The Prodigy like the Pope earlier this week gave a huge two fingers to the whole BDS bullshit movement and came to visit Tel Aviv last night. I needed to let off a bit of steam so i decided to head along in. I have always being a huge fan of these guys but the closest i have gotten to seeing them live was when i met Liam Howlett checking thru security at London City airport for a flight to Luxembourg in 2010, ( documented in the celeb spot thread iIrc).
as an aside the crowd was late 20’s - 30’s and the talent was incredible.[/QUOTE]

Cracking post Mickee. What’s the BDS movement?

They played a cover of A Pagan Place by the Waterboys towards the end but I’m sure you’re already aware of that if you were there.

Quite a few people complained of sound problems and I saw the singer Adam Granduciel getting visibly pissed off with the sound man but it didn’t really affect my enjoyment of it at all.

Boycott, Divest, Sanctions.

Just listened to a few of their songs. “Red Eyes” is great.

[QUOTE=“The Scouse Cafu, post: 952121, member: 2660”]They played a cover of A Pagan Place by the Waterboys towards the end but I’m sure you’re already aware of that if you were there.

Quite a few people complained of sound problems and I saw the singer Adam Granduciel getting visibly pissed off with the sound man but it didn’t really affect my enjoyment of it at all.

Boycott, Divest, Sanctions.[/QUOTE]
I wasn’t familiar with the song A Pagan Place, the Scouse Cafu. I wouldn’t have known the Waterboys catalogue terribly well.

Boycott Divest Sanction.
it’ an intimidation tactic used by the rent a crowd brigade who try to stop singers / football teams / religous figures / people in general from travelling to Israel, It usually manifests itself in twitter assaults and FB postings, this isnt the thread for it really

[QUOTE=“TreatyStones, post: 945902, member: 1786”]Club foot as usual sent the place mad.

They finished with a strong encore of switch blade smiles, Vlad the impaler, the roof is on fire, praise you by fat boy slim and LSF[/QUOTE]

I never heard of a kasabian song called ‘the roof is on fire’

That aside, absolutely brilliant gig!

This is a particular favourite of mine by The War on Drugs. Nails that 80s style all-American rock n roll (driving beat, Dylan/Springsteen-esque vocals, harmonica solo) and puts it through a glorious lo-fi filter. Wonderful band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMToQg0vSds