Gigs coming up

I’ll have to get a good buzz going before I head in so.

[QUOTE=“Whiplash, post: 973672, member: 638”]Went to see the Pixies and Arcade Fire in Marlay Park yesterday. Both were thoroughly enjoyable. If there were any negatives it was the pixies only playing for an hour and 10 and the lack of Debaser and Monkey gone to Heaven. There wasn’t much crowd interaction which I guess is par for the course with the pixies. Frank Black ended it fairly abruptly by saying his guitar died. Maybe if they were’t supporting and headlining like tonight in the Marque in Cork it would have been different.

Arcade Fire sounded very good. Might be more suited to an indoor arena though. They are all a bit touched. I wouldn’t mind having a bit of whatever William Butler is smoking.

Marks out of 10

Sound: 7
Venue: 8
Crowd: 6
Pixies: 7
Arcade Fire: 8
Ammenities: 7[/QUOTE]
Agree on the lower marks for the sound and crowd. The crowd barely got going for the Pixies and there were a lot of (Dublin) twats more interested in shouting/chatting during the concert than anything else. Didn’t think the sound was good and while Arcade Fire are class live the sound should have been better which would have made it epic. Maybe the fact it was a Sunday and the early finishing time affected it a bit. Was disappointed in the Pixies’ performance. Overall i’d give the concert a 7.

However it appears Marley Park is a cunt of a place to get out of and no event should ever be put on there again.

[QUOTE=“glasagusban, post: 973697, member: 1533”]Agree on the lower marks for the sound and crowd. The crowd barely got going for the Pixies and there were a lot of (Dublin) twats more interested in shouting/chatting during the concert than anything else. Didn’t think the sound was good and while Arcade Fire are class live the sound should have been better which would have made it epic. Maybe the fact it was a Sunday and the early finishing time affected it a bit. Was disappointed in the Pixies’ performance. Overall i’d give the concert a 7.

However it appears Marley Park is a cunt of a place to get out of and no event should ever be put on there again.[/QUOTE]
I have always found Marley Park one of the easiest venues to get in and out of.

[QUOTE=“glasagusban, post: 973697, member: 1533”]Agree on the lower marks for the sound and crowd. The crowd barely got going for the Pixies and there were a lot of (Dublin) twats more interested in shouting/chatting during the concert than anything else. Didn’t think the sound was good and while Arcade Fire are class live the sound should have been better which would have made it epic. Maybe the fact it was a Sunday and the early finishing time affected it a bit. Was disappointed in the Pixies’ performance. Overall i’d give the concert a 7.

However it appears Marley Park is a cunt of a place to get out of and no event should ever be put on there again.[/QUOTE]

I was standing facing the centre of the stage for the Pixies and I thought the sound was decent. After getting beer and food, I was to the side of the stage for the start of Arcade Fire and I thought the sound was shite. We moved back in towards the centre and there was a noticeable improvement I thought.

Also the closer you get to the stage, the less liklihood for annoying twats.

Frank Black began to play the start of Debaser but I genuinely think they cut the power on his guitar. They had overrun and there seemed to be a strict timetable in place for getting the Arcade Fire’s stage ready and giving them enough time to play their full set, before the south Dublin residents insisted Arcade Fire’s noise was cut too.

I enjoyed both gigs. I thought ‘Reflector’ live was class.

Interesting. Seemed to be a nightmare last night anyway.

Half/Fully cut pundits could only improve the BBC’s coverage.

[QUOTE=“Phil Leotardo, post: 973709, member: 197”]I was standing facing the centre of the stage for the Pixies and I thought the sound was decent. After getting beer and food, I was to the side of the stage for the start of Arcade Fire and I thought the sound was shite. We moved back in towards the centre and there was a noticeable improvement I thought.

Also the closer you get to the stage, the less liklihood for annoying twats.

Frank Black began to play the start of Debaser but I genuinely think they cut the power on his guitar. They had overrun and there seemed to be a strict timetable in place for getting the Arcade Fire’s stage ready and giving them enough time to play their full set, before the south Dublin residents insisted Arcade Fire’s noise was cut too.

I enjoyed both gigs. I thought ‘Reflector’ live was class.[/QUOTE]
I was just ahead and to the left of the sound tower throughout, probably not the acoustic sweet spot in fairness. If they actually cut the power to his guitar which it seems like happened, the cunts should be lined up against a wall and shot. I’ll have to insist on getting closer to the stage next time. How did you find getting away after?

I always drive in fairness. Very easy to get in and out of with a car.

True. Half cut posters can probably post in the right thread though. Fully cut ones though probably not.

A friend drove up from limerick, now probably wasn’t familiar with the area and might have parked too near but it took him til 12 before he could get on the road with the car.

It was the epitome of a bottle neck. Stewarding was minimal as well. Picture this. A field with 5 maybe 6 hundred cars with 1 gap for an exit. And all lines of cars in the field converging for the small tiny exit in the corner. Absolute madness. Don’t bring a car if you go to Marlay Park. Alternatively leave it at the Supervalu in Ballinteer and its a short walk from venue to there. You’ll be home much quicker.

Come on now. If you drove to a Munster final, would you park on a field with 5 or 600 other cars. If you did would you expect any sympathy, if it took you an age to get out?

Next time park in one of the housing estates on the M50 side of the park.

I was there last night. Overall I found it pretty enjoyable.

Ham Sandwich were arguably the best of the bunch. I didn’t know much of their stuff beforehand but they were superb live.

Pixies were Pixies I suppose. No interaction belting out song after song. A few screams from Black Francis. I was a little peeved at the end with the abruptness of the ending as I love Debaser and the ‘oh my guitar broke’ bit a little shitty. Overall 7.5 out of 10.

I really enjoyed Arcade Fire. Tunnels was the highlight for me. They alawas make the effort live and this was apparent again last night. 8 out of 10.

With regard to the venue I had no problem with the bar or the toilets situation. I thought the sound was fine - I was situated to the left of the stage inside the sound tower. I wasn’t at all happy about getting out of the place though. I ended up walking home and got there at around 12.15an. I walked through the car park and the cars didn’t look like moving for a while. I live in South Dublin so was relying on a taxi of which they were none.

Clare hurling legend Jamesie O’Connor was in attendance at Marlay Park last night.

Would you not have posted your spot of the Economics Teacher/Top Pundit in the Celeb Spotting thread

That thread is a shambles.

I am familiar with past experience of getting stuck in that car park after gigs and with my girlfriend needing to be up at 6am for work this morning, we decided to make a beeline for the exit during the 2nd last song. Listened to ‘Wake Up’ on the walk back to the car. Not ideal but I’ve seen Arcade Fire a good few times before so I’ll get over it. It was completely worth it to be able to jump into the car and be on the M50 in under 3 minutes.

:eek:

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/music-news/doubts-over-two-garth-brooks-gigs-in-croke-park-30403519.html

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/music-news/doubts-over-two-garth-brooks-gigs-in-croke-park-30403519.html[/QUOTE]

We won :clap:

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/music-news/garth-brooks-croke-park-concerts-permission-granted-for-just-three-shows-30404148.html