Gigs coming up

Something very calculated about them. Or calculating.

Whats the new album like Locke? I heard a snippet off the first track they have released and it sounded very pop likeā€¦ abba dancing queen came to mind.

Iā€™ve seen them a few times, great live band.

@glasagusban @caulifloweredneanderthal

I look forward to the review. Always decent live.

What is a myth? That I only started liking them when Kid A came out? I can assure you that itā€™s not. I thought pablo honey was a load of shite and I hate that dirge of a song creep. The bends was great but a bit downbeat, OK computer was more interesting. Kid A grabbed me and it was only after that I gave the bends and ok computer a bit more time. Take your point on the later more conventional stuff of course, but it was good quality and it wasnā€™t as miserable as some of their early stuff which was good.

They couldnā€™t be my cuppa at all but I caught them at electric picnic in a tent back in 05 and it was good stuff. Think they were on the brink of something big around then.

See they played a gig in Whelans afterwards last night

1 Like

Pablo honey is the only album from them that I tend not to go back to. For what itā€™s worth, my 5 favourites (in rough order) are:

Ok computer
Kid A
In Rainbows
The Bends
A Moon Shaped Pool

Hail to the Thief, Amnesiac and the King of Limbs can all be a tad patchy, despite some great tunes on all.

1 Like

Next up for me
Badbadnotgood in the Sugarclub
Kamasi Washington in the NCH
Sunno )))) in the Button factory.

Some summer for gigs in fairness.

1 Like

I really like them.

Funeral is a tad overrated but still brilliant. Tunnels and Power Out are two of my favourite ever songs. 9/10
Neon Bible is a poor Springsteen-like dirge with good tunes like The Well and the Lighthouse interspersed. 6/10
The Suburbs is a mighty effort. Brilliant songs all over the album including the wonderful Suburban War and Deep Blue. 9/10
Reflektor is decent. 7/10
I will be buying their new album. I rarely do that for bands these days.

1 Like

Agree with all of that.

I wasnt there but interesting that they played rebellion lies 2nd on the set list last night.

Looking at previous set lists this isnā€™t the norm at all on this tour. Iā€™m guessing they wanted to get their beloved Irish fans heaving like previous gigs. Never going to be the same on a balmy night and an afterwork Wednesday evening crowd versus a pissed festival crowd inside an over packed tent

I only like the first two Radiohead albums @Fagan_ODowd
Some great songs on Pablo Honey lads, thinking about you is one of my favourites.

The Bends is one of the most overrated albums out there for me.

That was the album where they really played to the masses to sustain their appeal.

I was only kidding really, bit of banter with Fagan. I lost interest after about the fourth but that coincided with me listening to less new music in general unfortunately.
I thought the bends was a great album when it came out, commercial grand but nothing really wrong with that when the quality was so high

Huh?

Lads, a bit of advice please. I want to bring my better half to a gig in the next few weeks. She loves Coldplay but tickets are impossible to get. Any recommendations?

Hard to argue with that, although A Moon Shaped Pool is a tremendous effort for a band whoā€™ve been around for over 25 years. I would have it above The Bends and on a par with In Rainbows.

Donā€™t go to Coldplay.

3 Likes

Agreed. It is a quality album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6HMW7h5jGY

1 Like

Everyone is trying to scalp people for these t the moment. Walk up to the concert and youā€™ll pick two up at cost price without much difficulty Iā€™d say, same as any other concert. Otherwise keep an eye on gumtree or those kinda sites.

1 Like

Only know that track too and they kicked off the set with it. Donā€™t think the full album is out till the autumn. Think itā€™s a homage to dancing queen tbf

Pure roasterism going buck-mad to Brewing Up A Storm. But shure how bad?