Giving to Charity

I’ve seen where the VdeP money goes up close and personal, and they can go fuck if they think I’m paying for their Christmas lights bill in February when they come with their hands hanging. That put me right off. I’ll say this for them, they’re better in that they don’t have the sort of cunts involved that GOAL and Concern have, but when I saw that going on it turned me right off them.

I’ve heard too many horror stories from the Niall Mellon thing about lads being out there who can barely carry a hammer. Tradesmen going out is a noble thing, but I’ve known tradesmen who did go out who were left in astonishment at the amount of useless fuckers out there for a bit of a jaunt and for something that looks good on your CV. imo if you have no discernible talent, you should be told thanks for the money, but piss off back to where you came from.

Personal charities are the best like the lad who needed a new chin and such.
Putting it into a big charity is in like putting it in a pit.

Of course there are useless fuckers from a building point of view going out there, but i dare say the people telling you this are qualified in the building trade?

How is it a horror story if an accountant doesn’t know what to do with a nail gun? Those guys are there to help the skilled guys. I have no doubt there are some who go out there for the wrong reasons, but i also would guess some tradesmen went out there thinking it would be a holiday.

You should go out there and see for yourself, then come back and tell us if its a waste of time or what.

Fucking double posting :angry:

No point spending an hour trying to teach a guy how to do something when you’d do it yourself as easily, or have a lad out there who could do it right off the bat. Like I said, I have no issue with tradesmen going out there to do something, because they have something to contribute, the rest can go fuck imo.

As for me going out there, why would I do something I am so obviously opposed to?

To make up your own mind i suppose.

But anyway, its ridiculous to think people who aren’t tradesmen can’t contribute. I’m sure you heard about the tards who hold a hammer the wrong way, but not everyone is like that, all the guys that just get on with it go unnoticed.

They wouldn’t get the work done with “just” tradesmen. I know plenty of non-qualified tradesmen who would have no bother throwing their hand to that type of building.

Fair enough, I know many a lad who wouldnt be a tradesman but would be plenty able to lend a hand and be useful, just the amount of Fiachra’s and Caoimhe’s out there is what gets my goat.

I know

:lol: think this along Kev’s argument that the reasons the Dubs are no good cos they are middle class.

know a few lads that got away with misdemenours due to having signed up with the niall mellon thing. dont the cunts they give the houses to just sell them anyway?

Some of them rent them out and go back to living in their regular shacks.

Yes I’ve heard that also. Thats their own choice though, I’d have no beef with that.

+1 Gotta make a living

There was a lad on the radio one day and he said in Haiti as soon as the builders move out the gangs come in and take control of the houses

Tell us more Link.

I rarely give to charity and if I do it will be for a specific fundraiser rather than the ongoing running expenses of Goal or Concern. Ball Ox had an excellent way of considering charity donations:

• if they receive government funding they already get my contribution through taxes, so f**k off
  • if the don’t receive government funding they’re dodgy, so f**k off

Apart from the ridiculous stereotyping to make yourself feel like a salt of the earth man of the people, do you think the job of labourer requires some intrinsic skill that can’t be picked up in half an hour? Lifting, carrying a bit of sweeping up? get the fuck out of it. You’ve obviously never worked on a building site if ya think it’s an exclusively for skilled tradesmen.
Especially when you’re doing it as quick as they do I’d presume there’s plenty need for plain old donkey work while your heroes get on with the skilled jobs.

I rode a Caoimhe once, lovely girl. I wish her well…

Don’t know too much about the inner workings of charities but a mate of mine has done a lot of stuff mainly in the West Bank and India. He maintains that the spending on administration and professional management should actually be higher, as the biggest wastage is caused by lack of organisation and duplication of effort. I’ve heard the majority of these criticisms countless times before but it generally sounds like bullshit to me. There probably are groups who are ethically suspect but they’re vastly outnumbered by the ones that do change people’s lives. There are even plenty in Ireland that you could look into if you were worried about where the money was going. You go to the St Michael’s campaign group and tell them they’re only a scam. Shit talk of the highest order.

Predictable enough response on this thread from the celtic cubs too.

I don’t give to charity myself but it’s more because i’m too lazy to set anything up and if I’m honest just too fucking mean.

Wouldn’t be trying to justify it to myself with some high minded bullshit about charities being corrupt etc :smiley:

:clap:

Thinly veiled i carried buckets in Capetown with Fiacre.