Giving to Charity

Christ mate, the house, which backs onto the campus of Cork University Hospital, will be converted into a support centre for patients. Have a bit of a heart.

I did double take at the first line.

is that not a private lake in the hotel?

Sure I know that, it was just the first line left it hanging without any description.

Ah tis now, but twasn’t always the case. Christ when i think of the shithole that place was back in the day.

Emo Lake is a grand spot.

Is Tadhg still working there I wonder

Jesus that Ballyfin demesne is like a lord of the manor retreat place.

Archery, Clay Pigeon shooting, Falconry.

That’s some laugh — She left millions to a dog instead of wasting it on Laois GAA.

harsh but fair on averil

I’ve only ever done the Ballyfin 10K through it since it was rennied, its incredible tbf. Some amount of money pumped into it. They’ve done well by the locals as well.

1 Like

I have the good fortune to live and work in Cambodia for five years now. I also have the good fortune to work for an NGO called SeeBeyondBorders. We are seeking to improve the education system in Cambodia. Believe it or not over 90% of teachers were killed during the Khmer Rouge and the system was completely destroyed.

Cambodia has many societal issues. Suicide epidemic, huge rates of domestic abuse, prolific corruption and a ton of other issues. Khmer people are unparalleled in their friendliness and spirit. A joy to live and work with.

There are lots of NGOs are trying to help the situation by building schools and giving away resources. Cambodia has the second largest number of NGOs anywhere in the world. The problem is not quantity…

I firmly believe the best way to change things for the better is through education. Also believe that to improve education we have to help Khmer teachers in public schools and not build more schools or give away resources. I joined SeeBeyondBorders a year and a half ago and it is best decision I ever made. It is not the perfect NGO but it is as near to perfect as one could hope for and I truly believe we are doing our bit to change things for the better.

Have debated for a good while whether to post this message up on TFK as I know there is plenty of skepticism on charities here (not to mention teacher knockers!). I share some of the skepticism particularly on some of larger charities but worth remembering that there are some terrific smaller organisations doing really meaningful work. Anyway for more on what we do in Cambodia please feel free to have a gander at our video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0ooJOzXRUQ

If inclined posters may also consider supporting a small fundraiser I am doing here in Cambodia. Very open to any other contacts anyone might have.

Thanks for taking the time to read this message one and all!
Raymond Crotty/larryduff/Colm Byrne
colm.byrne@seebeyondborders.org

29 Likes

Will do mate

Happy Christmas

Hugely appreciated @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy.

1 Like

Keep up the great work buddy.

3 Likes

Best of luck with it Larry

2 Likes

Would you post us a wee bit of marching powder from time to time

1 Like

Thanks very much @fenwaypark. Hope running and teaching are going well.

2 Likes

Appreciated @Mac!

1 Like

Cmon guys

Lets make Ray a few quid

@padjo?

1 Like

€120 raised from TFK thus far. Fantastic!! A mentor gets paid $3 to mentor a teacher per lesson so that is over 40 lessons paid for from TFK so far. Tremendous.

3 Likes