Giving up Cigarettes and or Caffeine thread

[QUOTE=ā€œBrimmer Bradley, post: 1110631, member: 2839ā€]Ah here. Tass emigrated to London from west Clare, he was immediately employed/ targeted as a rent boy. The obvious step for him while being anally gouged on a daily basis for monetary reward was to blot it out with drink and drugs.
By some lucky stroke he got a job as a binman and has now found his feet again and is on here daily giving it big licks about how good his life is and cannot recommend the drink/ drugs free lifestyle to all and sundry.
His base starting point was well low to start with so Iā€™d take anything he has to say with a liberal pinch of salt.[/QUOTE]

Try putting wages on the table for 20 lads every week you fucking cunt.

I usually spend ā‚¬45 a week on cigarettes - thatā€™s five packets of 20 Camel Lights which are exactly ā‚¬9.

I sort of want to quit but Iā€™ve become dependent, as well as still (mostly) enjoying them. Iā€™ve really only become an everyday smoker in the last two years. Before that Iā€™d buy maybe two packets a week and was quite easily able to go a week or two without one. But now, anything stressful and I need a cigarette. I had my bike stolen at the Leinster Hurling final in 2013 and strange as sounds this is what made me start smoking everyday as I was furious with myself for parking it in a dodgy place and leaving it there by going off drinking afterwards. Then I decided to go on a cigarette run to Poland to stop paying Irish prices and brought back 1600. When I went through those I went to Prague for 24 hours and brought back 2000. Then I brought back another 800 from Abu Dhabi on top of that. Now Iā€™ll probably never get off them.

Ken Early had a tweet a month or two back about trying to give up smoking:

ā€œi heard stopping smoking would give me increased energy, & it has, but all the new energy is in the form of hate. not sure this is progressā€

This is exactly how I feel when I go 18 hours without one. I become hyper and canā€™t sleep. But it also makes me feel fear. About everything. The dependence is a cunt.

[QUOTE=ā€œSidney, post: 1110674, member: 183ā€]I usually spend ā‚¬45 a week on cigarettes - thatā€™s five packets of 20 Camel Lights which are exactly ā‚¬9.

I sort of want to quit but Iā€™ve become dependent, as well as still (mostly) enjoying them. Iā€™ve really only become an everyday smoker in the last two years. Before that Iā€™d buy maybe two packets a week and was quite easily able to go a week or two without one. But now, anything stressful and I need a cigarette. I had my bike stolen at the Leinster Hurling final in 2013 and strange as sounds this is what made me start smoking everyday as I was furious with myself for parking it in a dodgy place and leaving it there by going off drinking afterwards. Then I decided to go on a cigarette run to Poland to stop paying Irish prices and brought back 1600. When I went through those I went to Prague for 24 hours and brought back 2000. Then I brought back another 800 from Abu Dhabi on top of that. Now Iā€™ll probably never get off them.

Ken Early had a tweet a month or two back about trying to give up smoking:

ā€œi heard stopping smoking would give me increased energy, & it has, but all the new energy is in the form of hate. not sure this is progressā€

This is exactly how I feel when I go 18 hours without one. I become hyper and canā€™t sleep. But it also makes me feel fear. About everything. The dependence is a cunt.[/QUOTE]

Didnā€™t know Early was a smoker

Stupid cunts. I smoked for a numbers of years and just stopped. Dead. Then again, Iā€™m a winner with a winners mentality.

Iā€™ve shared a few cigarettes with him*. I particularly enjoyed the two I had when he launched into an angry tirade against Cian Oā€™Connor in the rooftop beer garden of a pub in Kingā€™s Cross the night Katie Taylor won her gold medal.

*Not literally, both of us had our own, separate, cigarettes.

[QUOTE=ā€œSidney, post: 1110693, member: 183ā€]Iā€™ve shared a few cigarettes with him*. I particularly enjoyed the two I had when he launched into an angry tirade against Cian Oā€™Connor in the rooftop beer garden of a pub in Kingā€™s Cross the night Katie Taylor won her gold medal.

*Not literally, both of us had our own, separate, cigarettes.[/QUOTE]

:smiley: His some man to drink a rake of pints with Iā€™d say, the most likeable of that trio without a doubt although not at the first listen.

Cian Oā€™Connor is a bad egg.

Early is by a considerable distance the least annoying of them, because he still retains a degree of cynicism. I donā€™t trust people who are not cynical about most things. I find that smoking nurtures a sort of anaesthetised cynicism that is essential for living sanely.

Iā€™m a cynical bastard by nature pal although I donā€™t correlate that with my nicotine addiction but that is a fucking brilliant post :clap:

Youā€™re a gas man Sidney :smiley:

Signing in since 6pm yesterday.

I intend on using this thread to log instances of weakness. Iā€™d appreciate the support of all my e-buddies at this difficult time

3 Likes

Iā€™ll give you until 6

Iā€™m already gumminā€™ for one

Good luck, @Fran. Youā€™re a stand up guy and I think you can do it. So what if you have a few falls along the way, just dust yourself down and start again.

You should take a shot of heroin every time you feel like a cigarette

@Horsebox, can you hook me up here?

1 Like

Cheers Bandage, I knew I could rely on your support

Best of luck @Fran. Iā€™m off them 2 years at the end of June. Ms Lockeā€™s father dying of lung cancer did the trick for me. Havenā€™t even craved one since.

2 Likes

Christ, are you suggesting he kill his father in law?

8 Likes

Iā€™m off them a year next Sunday. I was a 15-20 a day man. Easy enough do it in the end. Do something that will utterly bollix you like a 15 mile run or something like that. Then smoke 4 or 5 fags straight after and you wonā€™t want to smoke ever again. In my case it was the last round of golf I ever played.

1 Like

You ran 15 miles while playing golf?