Golf Thread

Am I dreaming or did they bring in rules allowing for 9 hole comps there a few years ago that would be allowed for handicap scoring?

You’d bang out 9 holes in a 3 ball in an hour and a half there any evening

Theres definitely official 9 hole competitions. Index from 1 to 9 and your handicap is halved.

You’d go quicker than 90 minutes with a clear run in front of you

1 Like

8 Likes

Ye got a grand day for it

Beautiful, dramatic scenery and greens are the best I have ever putted on. For €100 it was well worth it. If I didn’t go back again I probably wouldn’t miss it too much either. lost 7 or 8 balls. Hit plenty of well struck shots but ball flight too high and swept into the abyss. Had Christening on Friday, hurling match back home Saturday so was shattered and by 14th or 15th mentally I was in the car on the way home. Of course it didnt help when my driver self combusted on the 4th after I hit a routine tee shot.

We did. Escaped a downpour. We were just in. I don’t know how that course would be playable in wind and rain.

1 Like

is that a Callaway Fusion?

No Callaway XR. Getting fitted for a new set of irons this week. New driver isn’t in the budget however. Will revert back to Cobra Amp that was using before.

In general Distance isn’t an issue but dispersion with my irons is. My number 1 goal is more accuracy even if it means 5 - 10 less yards. Obviously need some lessons and money would be better spent there but was never in love with my existing irons. Too chunky and heavy and no feel and clicky noise when they are hit. Not to mention the cavity slot thingy flew out the back of a couple of them a few times. Can you recommend a good set for a 12 handicapper with feel, accuracy and bit of forgiveness?

I’m playing off 12 and got fitted for the cobra king f7 irons. They are a blended set I have 4i to pw
4-5i are hollow, 6-7i are half hollow and then 8 to pw are cavity. They aren’t very bulky for cavity backs, and there is little to no offset. I hate offset on an iron. It makes me think everything is going left.

I got them in a stiff shaft, but had them all shortened by 1/4 inch to make the shaft stiffer. Like you said, probably lose 5 yards with each club but they’re very accurate and forgiving.

Like with all cavity’s/non blades, sometimes I’ll absolutely button one and it will go 20 yards further than you think it will, but thats the same with all cavity backs, the front to back dispersion wouldn’t be as good as a blade. The face is soft, again but wouldn’t be as a blade. They aren’t clicky and you generally know where you’ve hit it off the face. Nice sound but not the same as a well struck blade.

I was gonna buy a set of ping i500’s off a mate of mine who’s changing his, I played a round with them recently. My jesus are they a beautiful set of irons. I just didn’t have the same confidence playing tricky shots, like a draw or a fade, or low shots because there was so little club behind the ball. For flat out shots though, they were stunning to hit

Whatever you do mate, don’t go for lessons. They’ll fuck you up. Go to a range by yourself and figure it out. Swing with your own swing. Especially if you’re a hurler. They’ll have you trying to swing like Rory and we just can’t do that. Find a way to make it work with your own movement

1 Like

Excellent advice

100%

Playing Ceann Sibeail in the morning. Cannot fucking wait

1 Like

Lovely spot. Hope you get the weather

1 Like

I’m sitting at the foot of mt brandon here and she’s fair howly

1 Like

I don’t understand why lads would play with blades that are above 4 or 5 handicapper, it’s a hard enough game without making it harder. I get the look and feel thing but I’ve a hard enough time hitting my lump of a 4 iron, not to mind one that looks like a butter knife

I changed to blades a few years back and they completely changed my game. I’d an awful slice and my foucs was shocking… Changed my game. Id be a 12ish handicap

Do you have to focus cos when you look at the club face behind the ball you go, oh holy fuck?

Would you not use a hybrid? I fucking love the hybrid.

Played with a lad a few weeks ago whose full iron set was hybrids. Used his PW on a few holes and it seems fairly foolproof… Almost jiggeresque

Nope, just know there’s zero forgiveness, also added a lot of distance to my irons

I have a 21 degree hybrid that goes the same length as the 4 iron but I prefer hitting the 4 iron off the fairway. The hybrid is a weapon out of the rough