Golf Thread

Ya I’m disappointed he started like that… I’m sitting back here in the hospital watching it on the ipad… Was obviously hoping for a more enjoyable night! Good to see him up there tho

11 Likes

The baysht that is Carne today, Hackett 18 today and a combo 18 with the new nine in the morning.

7 Likes
2 Likes

The 17th index 1 is as tough a hole you’d find anywhere. One of my favourite courses. Playing a Friends of Carne team event in July. Cant wait. The Wild Atlantic Dunes 9 is next level stuff. Lovely people up there too.

Looks like big Phil and Bryson are leaving The pga tour.

Huge pity.

Mickleson is an awful hungry cunt

3 Likes

I know this is a how long is a piece of string question, but I know nothing about golf.

How far in advance would you need to book a decent golf course. Like say Ballybunion, Lahinch, Tralee or Adare? How much are you talking roughly for three ball in those caliber places?

@Raylan @gilgamboa et al

Is there a reason you need to go to one of those exactly, mate?

Just looking for a top course not a million miles from me as a present

That’s the Lahinch pricelist, the Kerry courses are priced about the same.
Adare is something like another hundred onto those prices I think. You can email any of them to look for a teetime now but by all accounts courses are booked up to the hilt for this summer. Other than that get onto a member to use his concession green fees

1 Like

3 ball in Tralee would probably cost around €200 a man in high season and is by far and away the best value for money out of the 4 options you mentioned. You could probably play it in low season for €100 each.

2 Likes

Ya I had a quick look on some of the sites and there didn’t seem to be much availability. Which was why I asked.

I’m not sure you can play Ballybunion at weekends during the summer. Members only policy.

1 Like

This is prob your best bet… But if looking for a specific slot prob get gouged. Most golfers wouldnt pay the green fee, you’d find a comp midweek or something (v rare in those courses) and play for 100 quid maybe… Or off season… Much better value in north

The new St Patricks course in Donegal is supposedly going to change the Irish golfing landscape. Tom Doak designed and many say its his finest creation. There were 2 courses there but they made it into 1. More and more people will be going to Donegal and I’m sure taking in Mayo and Sligo along the way.

Is the Saudi Super League going to be golf’s pdc moment?

The Saudis are some shower of cunts but if they could ruin professional golf a lot of people would consider that to be a good deed.

1 Like

I dont think so. It doesn’t have enough clout. De Chambeau and Mickelson are clearly in it for themselves. The European tour could fall by the wayside alright. It is poorly run and marketed. Most players probably make more money from endorsements and prize money on PGA tour. All they want is majors. By signing up to Saudi league they would be forgoing those opportunities. Anyone with ambition would want to stay on PGA tour. It would be like Iniesta or Xavi going playing in the Chinese league for 500 grand a week in their prime. Not going to happen.

Money usually talks and De Chambeau is currently the biggest box office draw in golf. Doesn’t take long for these things to gain critical mass if they are financially backed enough. And you would imagine especially so in as individualistic and money driven a game as golf.

DeChambeau is a novelty the way John Daly was. At 28 he has won one major and hasn’t been within an asses roar of winning another other than the 2020 PGA, last year his best finish was tied 26th in the US Open. No way his body holds up to that kind of abuse, in fact there is evidence it is starting to fall apart already.

The Saudi tour may attract a fair few players from the European tour but not the PGA. Almost all the top players in the PGA live in the US and have an incredible lifestyle jetting off to a tournament with their families on a Tuesday and back on the Sunday, most flights less than 3 hours. They are not going to swap that for jetting to Saudi every week.

4 Likes

10 of the 14 tournaments are supposed to be in the US I believe.

If players from any major recognised tour start joining, you have a credible field, and if there’s more money, the decision becomes easier.

De Chambeau is the most recognisable face in the game. You cannot dismiss his box office draw.