Golf Thread

Tend to agree with you.

Bryson is cracking up physically already, real pity as he was pretty talented before bulking up too. Okay, he won a major but the longevity of his crusade is looking smaller & smaller now.

He might be inclined to chase the money.

1 Like

We’re heading up in June. St Patrick’s and Sandy Hills plus 2 nights accomodation for €350ish. It won’t be that price again I’d say

3 Likes

Is that offer still available?

I dunno man, I think being guaranteed a big payday no matter how you play could have a huge bearing on this as opposed to grinding it out week in week out on the pga tour, you’ll find a good few seasoned pros who haven’t been challenging for pga titles the last few years jump at this, the likes of Adam Scott or Sergio Garcia who been there and done it all

We put in a lot of phone hours to negotiate that, but we’re not staying on site. I think you’d get it for €395 with them

1 Like

The only tour that really matters is the PGA, literally every top golfer in the world plays on it. It’s already the case that many of the top players skip PGA events to focus on the lead up to the majors, they are not going to be swayed by another set of tournaments. I’m not saying the Saudi tour couldn’t take off and have an audience but it’s likely to be a tier below the European tour and roughly the equivalent of the Korn Ferry in the US. At the end of the day every top golfer wants to play the majors and the easiest way in is through the PGA.

2 Likes

I agree, but it won’t attract younger golfers who have aspirations to win majors, and that cohort increases every year while the likes of Sergio and Adam Scott are headed for the senior tour.

It may as well be a Retired Tour Show so another Seniors effort.

1 Like

It might be a bargaining chip for the Saudis to get their name put on a few US PGA tournaments.

Once you see Phil Michelsen’s name associated with something, it’s bound to be cuntish.

2 Likes

I’m sure the PGA would be up for that.

I think it’s unlikely there will be a halfway house scenario. Either it takes off or falls flat on its face.

It looks unreal

I mentioned it here at time but I played ballyliffin, Portrush and Portstewart 3 days in a row for 300 euro in some nw golf challenge thing… Its unreal part of the country but it is some trek to ballyliffin from cork

That was incredible value. Unlikely to see that deal again. With the absence of any kind of visitors for 2 years those kind of deals became fairly common. I paid €100 to play the Old head in July which is unheard of. Ballyliffin is a fair trek alright. You would want the bare minimum 4 days up there to make it in any way justifiable. Inishowen peninsula is majestic. If you make the extra effort it is very rewarding and doesn’t carry the expensive tag that other similar courses carry. I think we may see an increase in green fee rates across the board with reasons like running costs (inflation) as reasoning and the influx of foreign visitors to recoup losses of last 2 years.

1 Like

More recognizable than McIlroy?

Balkyliffen was immaculate. Could have played in runners. Greens were as good as I have seen anywhere… And this was oct

In the US I’d say definitely and it’s the US that all this is about. Tiger Woods is obviously the biggest figure of all in the game but Tiger is almost certainly finished as an elite player.

Bryson is well down the list

It isn’t about favorablity rating, it’s about box office draw. De Chambeau is a Marmite figure. That’s what makes him box office and what gets floating sports fans talking.

Do you watch much golf?