Golf Thread

Jigger would be for running them into the green from around the edges, also can hit it from distance I think. Up in the air job has to be a wedge, open the face, widen your stance with ball well back, try not to fart and say a prayer. Never works for me though. Try hitting it onto the green in the 1st place you dozy kuntz

From the IT:

Top 10 foreign golfing holidays

Fed up with the rain wrecking your game? Why not practise your swing abroad and take in some sights while you’re at it? Mark Rodden describes 10 of the best golfing holidays for all budgets and standards

1 Vilamoura, Portugal The Algarve is among the most popular destinations for Irish people who fancy a golfing holiday, and Vilamoura is one of the safest bets when it comes to combining sunshine with good golf.

This resort (www.oceanicogolf.com) is favoured for both weekend and week-long breaks because of its proximity to a number of first-class courses. Green fees range in price from 55 to 135 and the best time to travel is between March and May and between September and November.

The region will be boosted further by the opening in September of two new courses, designed by Nick Faldo and Christy O’Connor jnr, at the nearby Amendoeira golf resort.

Ryanair flies daily from Dublin and twice-weekly from Shannon to Faro Airport, which is about a 30-minutes drive from Vilamoura. Aer Lingus has regular flights to Faro from Dublin, Cork and Belfast.

Fly for Golf has seven-night packages that include transfers and rounds of golf at five different courses. Prices are from 623 per person plus flights.

Tony Heverin Travel offers an extensive range of tailor-made packages to the resort, which include four- and five-star accommodation.

Foreign A Fares has a seven-night package in September, which includes hotel accommodation, transfers and three rounds of golf. Prices are from 489 per person plus flights. Killester Travel has one-week deals in five-star accommodation from 1,200.

2 Murcia, Spain While the Costa del Sol is a favourite for Irish holidaymakers, the southeastern region of Murcia is also developing as a golf-holiday destination.

Easy accessibility and cheap flights make Spain attractive, and Murcia is home to one of the top-rated golf resorts in the country. La Manga Club (00-34-968-175577, www.lamangaclub.com) boasts three championship courses, practice areas, a pitch-and-putt course and an academy.

The region itself has about 50 golf courses, while Jack Nicklaus is in the process of constructing seven courses in the area to make up the Jack Nicklaus Golf Trail, which will add to Murcia’s appeal.

Ryanair flies from Dublin and Shannon to Murcia-San Javier Airport, about 25km from La Manga Club. Aer Lingus flies to Alicante airport, about 120km away.

Fly for Golf offers a seven-night package to Las Lomas village, La Manga, including three rounds of golf. Prices are from 539 per person plus flights.

Cassidy Golf also offers one-week deals, which include three rounds of golf and car hire. Killester Travel’s week-long trips start at 1,200.

3 Costa Brava, Spain North of Barcelona, this area of Catalonia offers some excellent courses, including those at the PGA de Catalunya (00-34-972-472577, www.pgacatalunya.com), as well as good scenery and value.

Ryanair flies to the nearest airport at Girona, while Aer Lingus flies to Barcelona.

Cassidy Golf has seven-night packages to the area, including three days of golf. These are priced from 699.

Foreign A Fares has a six-night deal in October, which includes four days of golf. Transfers are included and prices are from 699. Flights are extra.

4 Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail, Alabama Definitely for the more serious golfer, this trail allows you to play a number of Robert Trent Jones snr-designed courses in the Alabama region. The trail (www.rtjgolf.com) offers 468 holes on 26 courses at 11 different sites.

There is a lot of travelling to isolated areas involved, but the golf offers a fantastic challenge. Green fees start from as little as $43 (about 28), and there are a number of golf resorts and spas along the trail to choose as your base.

Delta Air Lines flies direct from Dublin to Atlanta airport, which is 230km from Birmingham and 255km from Montgomery.

Fly for Golf offers tailored packages of three or four nights in a number of different towns in Alabama, with two or three rounds of golf at the various courses involved. Prices from 1,049 per person.

5 Champions Golf Academy, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina The Champions Golf Academy (00-1-843-3991551, www.championsgolfacademy lbc.com) in South Carolina could be a good option for improving your game while taking in some beautiful sights.

Irish residents Peter and Helen Donaghy teamed up with former PGA tour player Hugh Royer III to set up the academy in this sunny resort. It officially opened in April and serves as a learning centre for golfers of various levels.

Their nine-month gap-year programme is aimed at aspiring golfers aged 17-21 who are hoping to pursue the game in college, and they also offer one-, two- and three-day coaching courses for golfers of all levels. The academy is located beside the Jack Nicklaus-designed Long Bay Club and is complete with practice greens, short- and long-game areas, driving bays, psychologists and modern video technology. Lessons can be tailored to suit your level.

Myrtle Beach is about a 45-minute flight from Atlanta, and can be reached from Dublin with Delta Air Lines. US Airways flies from Dublin to Philadelphia, which is about a 1½ hour flight from Myrtle Beach.

The excellent beaches are a draw for non-golfers too, but with 120-plus courses and weather that allows you to play practically all-year round, it is a hugely popular destination for golfers.

Cassidy Golf offers tailor-made seven-night packages to Myrtle Beach, including three rounds of golf with car hire. Prices are from 1,350 per person.

6 Biarritz, France This coastal town in southwest France will be familiar to rugby fans but it is also home to a number of quality golf courses. And the area offers a lot more than just golf, including a number of beaches, but the downside is that accommodation can be expensive.

The Biarritz Golf Pass (00-33-559-037180, www.golfpassbiarritz.com) allows you to play five rounds on five different courses for 240-300, depending on the season.

Ryanair flies from Dublin and Shannon to Biarritz.

Fly for Golf offers a seven-night package, including five rounds of golf in the region at Moliets, Biarritz le Phare, Seignosse, Arcangues and Makila. Prices are from 594 per person plus flights.

Cassidy Golf does tailor-made packages, starting at about 1,000.

Killester Travel has a week-long deal in five-star accommodation, including five rounds of golf. Prices from 1,200 per person sharing.

7 Dubai, United Arab Emirates Dubai is an emerging destination for Irish golfers. Although accommodation is expensive, the weather, service and range of courses, all in a unique setting, offer something different.

One round on the leading courses will cost between 75 and 160, and November to March is the peak season for travel.

Etihad Airways fly direct from Dublin to Dubai International Airport, while you can also get there with one stopover with Air France, British Airways and KLM.

International Sports Travel offers a range of packages for a number of courses, all of which include flights, transfers, seven nights in Dubai and four rounds of golf. Prices from 1,029 per person sharing.

Fly for Golf offers a five-night package, which includes three rounds of golf in The Emirates, Dubai Creek and The Montgomerie, including airport transfers, from 849 per person plus flights.

8 Sandy Lane, Barbados For a luxury, long-haul holiday, try the Sandy Lane Golf and Spa resort in Barbados (www.sandylane. com). The complex has three picturesque courses, including the Country Club, which hosted the 2006 World Cup of Golf. Green fees are 100-130 for hotel guests, depending on the season, with a reduced rate for groups.

Non-golfers can make use of the spa facilities, lounge by the beach or take part in a number of water-sport activities.

Cassidy Golf and Foreign A Fares have a seven-night trip via London to Bridgetown, Barbados in October. This includes four rounds of golf and costs 2,690 plus taxes.

Killester Travel has a similar deal with unlimited golf or four spa treatments from 2,950 per person sharing.

9 Orlando, Florida Orlando is another well-liked location for Irish golfers, with direct flights from Dublin and Shannon with Aer Lingus and the falling value of the dollar making this a much-sought-after location.

Fly for Golf has a seven-night package, including three rounds of golf at Celebration, Panther Lake and Hawks Landing. Prices from 729 per person plus flights.

They also feature the Sawgrass resort (00-1-904-2857777, www.sawgrassmarriott.com), home to the Players Championship. A five-night package starts at 865 per person. Killester Travel has a 10-night deal for Sawgrass from 1,995 per person sharing.

Cassidy Golf has deals for 779, which takes in a week of golf. International Sports Travel also offers tailored packages to many of the 100-plus courses in the area.

10 Novo Sancti Petri, Spain This resort (www.golf-novosancti.es), located in sunny southern Spain, is made up of the first two courses, designed by Seve Ballesteros, and another 18-hole course at Campano Golf Club. Standard green fees are 60-75 per round.

Elsewhere in the Cadiz region are other top courses such as Valderrama, Montecastillo and Sotogrande.

The course is 60km from Jerez Airport, which Ryanair flies to from London Stansted.

Cassidy Golf is offering seven-night deals, including three rounds of golf. Golf is at Nova Sancti Petri, Los Lomas and Montecastillo. Access is 90 minutes from Seville with transfers. Prices from 829 per person.

anyone go to that metrogolf in ringsend with the golf sims. Played pebble beach, 16 points only with the wind turned off…i was shite

good way to spend a few hours

Thanks for that Pikeman. I’ll stick it up on my site

http://irishgolfonline.proboards67.com/index.cgi

[quote=“dancarter”]anyone go to that metrogolf in ringsend with the golf sims. Played pebble beach, 16 points only with the wind turned off…i was shite

good way to spend a few hours[/quote]

One question to you Dan, and to anyone else who might be out there; would you go back again? I reckon there’s a place, defo down here Cork for an indoor venue for golf. But the fear is not getting the repeat business. Thoughts about this would be appreciated…

Like this one Locke?

http://metrogolf.ie/home

[quote=“Pikeman”]Like this one Locke?

http://metrogolf.ie/home[/quote]

Thats the place I was. Would I go back, yes.

Took 3 hours for 3 of us to play a round which was a bit too long but we were having the banter etc so should have gone quicker, would say its a good idea for a work night out, you can get drink there, pints etc from back room but bar is being done up so socially it would be good. They were sellin it as an ideal place to go for lessons etc and assume they are tied in with a pro, there was a young fella there (19/20) running it (summer job id say) and he gave service that anyone in service industry for 20 years would have been happy with, left us play on overtime for free to finish gave us free long drive comp etc…would nearly go back for the service alone

only play 3/4 times a year myself with the local society for the session more so than anything…but i have been to the unigolf in limerick 4 times in the last 18 months…i have never played the simulated golf only the putting greens but it is a great way to kill a few hours on a quiet evening…it also seems to get plenty of business…

A thread on this just opened over on Lockes site.
Who are ye going backing in the British Open this week?

I’ll probably do Harrington and Els defenitely and as outsiders I’m thinking of two from the following but haven’t decided yet for sure.
KJ Choi 80/1 and better
Anders Romero generally 40s
MA Jimenez generally 40s
Ladbrokes the stingy cunts are only paying 5places, most others paying 6 and Bruce Betting paying a whopping 7.

[quote=“balloobasluvsbeer”]A thread on this just opened over on Lockes site.
Who are ye going backing in the British Open this week?

I’ll probably do Harrington and Els defenitely and as outsiders I’m thinking of two from the following but haven’t decided yet for sure.
KJ Choi 80/1 and better
Anders Romero generally 40s
MA Jimenez generally 40s
Ladbrokes the stingy cunts are only paying 5places, most others paying 6 and Bruce Betting paying a whopping 7.[/quote]

You mean my http://irishgolfonline.proboards67.com/index.cgi site where if you haven’t already registered please do so, or at least contribute to it. British Open special being hatched as we speak.

I’ve backed Choi before but don’t know. Cink is hot at the moment, reckon it’ll be a yank who’ll win it.

Harrington is fooked as regarding Ryder Cup qualification automatically isn’t he?

Presume he is guaranteed one of the wild cards though?

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Harrington is fooked as regarding Ryder Cup qualification automatically isn’t he?

Presume he is guaranteed one of the wild cards though?[/quote]

Not looking too good for him as an automatic pick anyway but I assume Faldo would pick him a one of his wildcards.

Powers playing 7 places on the Open for the gamblers here.

As of july 14th it was
1 Westwood
2 Garcia
3 Karlson
4 Jimenez
5 Rose
6 Stenson
7 Kaymer
8 Harrington
9 Donald
10 Chopra
Graeme McDowell’s win could be after changing all that though near the bottom so Padraig could be in bother

Just spotted that there, great value to be had now, cant believe ladbrokes are so stingy with 5

Paddy H is gone out to 25/1 following the news of his wrist injury. Defo a good e/w bet now. Jimenez is into 30/1 from 40’s, wedge being put on the Spaniard.

Rory McIlory was on course for his maiden tour win when he led the European Masters by 4 after the 3rd round. He dropped a couple of shots in the first few holes and ended up in a one hole play off with a guy called Luiquin. Both were on the green in two, Luiquin had a putt of about 10 feet, McIlroy 30 feet. McIlroy rolled it about 3 feet past and instead of taking his time, marking it and letting Luiquin putt he went ahead to tap it in…and missed, leaving Luiquin with 2 putts for the win. Luiquin then holed his anyway leading the commentator to state McIlroy’s error was immaterial, which it wasn’t as all the pressure was off Luiquin when he stood over his putt. In fairness had he subsequently missed, McIlroy would’ve felt a lot worse but it was still an incredibly stupid thing to do. But the kid will learn from it i suppose.

golf…what a funny auld game. shot level par n wexford two weeks ago and shot 7over this week. mmmm. Big sale on up in the pro shop in wexford folks get up there!

What are you playing off these days Tiger?

6 bandage.