Golf Thread

Payne Stewart had a lovely golf swing. Freddie Couples is as good as anything I have ever seen. Of the more modern players Adam Scott’s swing is hard bet.

Thomas has a sweet swing

2 Likes

The problem is that the driver is the length of a 7 iron. He has to reach for the ball with the driver. Generating that club head speed and over reaching will cause back problems. What is even more hard to understand is why the backswing needs to be so fast. That bit just doesn’t make sense to me.

Adams, Pieters, Couples - all lovely swings. Love RMacs swing, saw it up close when he was starting off, a thing of beauty

Chipping is all in the head if you ask me. I went through an awful patch before of scuffing chips or hitting them a quarter of the way to the hole. All that was in my head standing over them was to avoid boning them over the green even though I never used to do it.

Eventually a pal of mine sorted it out in what he said was a quick fix… Basically putting stroke with the pitching wedge everywhere from 30 or so yards out. I used to putt anywhere I could to avoid chipping but you won’t improve doing it

2 Likes

The chicken stick as a pal calls it

1 Like

That’s very good advice. If you can hit one club well using it repeatedly no matter where you are isn’t the worst plan starting out.

Pitching wedge should be fine anywhere. Just adjust the swing for distance

Reducing expectation helps from around d the green too.

If you think about holeing it or getting within gimme range you put pressure on it. If you focus on a spot on the green where you want to land and forget about the pin it helps. Me anyway.

If I’m in a match and a fella is close, I focus on the pin and “getting it close” and it increases my likelihood of fucking up.

Yep agree. All in the fucking head

I started bogey bogey par yday. Delighted. Topped drive on next, the first topped shot in 5 rounds and fell apart for a half an hour and scratched 4 of the next 5 holes. Grand again after that :man_shrugging:

Talking to a fella at work that joined Woodstock recently, €300 up to next May. Can’t really go wrong at that price, even if it is underwater for a lot of the winter

1 Like

Last nt…

Par Par Par… GIR… 4 putts scratch… 1 point from next 3 holes… No point on a par 5 or index 17 :face_vomiting:

played the fourball matchplay yesterday. My partner was 4 under after 11 holes, 5 birdies and a bogie. We had the match won on the 11th. I didn’t contribute much. He is playing off 8!!

That’s fair golf!

give him an 8 iron or anything smaller in his hands and if he is outside 10ft for birdie he is sickened. Completely different game.

1 Like

That’s good value

There is no driving range in either club in Ennis? Where is the closest one?

Dromoland? They’d probably charge you enough to bate a few balls. Outside of that you’d have Barbara Hackett’s place in Coonagh if it’s still open or Ballyneety

1 Like

Saw that Callan GC has membership from €290. Must be part of the year or country membership

Distance membership for callan is 149 euro mate. I thought long and hard about it