Golf Thread

How many times would you want to be travelling to justify that? Would be the bones of 20 euro on fuel from where you are to Callan and home.

I would hardly even go down pal. I’d just use it to maintain the GUI so I could play the open singles and scratch cups locally.

If you were looking for value, you’d want 3/4 lads going down, sharing the driving. And if you went down 10 times in the year you’d have your value got

You’d still have to get your 3 cards from Callan to get your GUI number?

you wouldn’t if you’re just transferring your handicap from another club. You’d have to go down once and show the face alright

If you are starting out you’d have to play the three rounds alright.

I’m not condoning it but some lads get three cards, play once and fill out an average. It isn’t really audited.

1 Like

My brother recently submitted 3 cards to get a handicap. He probably shot an 86 or 87 1 particular day and a 94 or a 95 on the other 2 rounds. They gave him a handicap of 15 which I thought was very unfair. Its very hard to get shots back in Clonmel. There are some lads there that may have been playing off 7 or 8 10 years ago but should be much bigger than that now.

1 Like

they gave me a handicap of 12 and I handed in 3 cards of around 18 over. Gouged.

Is there potential for an annual TFK golf outing lads?

I’d be game ball. 100% mick.

Somewhere reasonably accessible for the golfers on here.

That is extremely harsh. Did you ask for a reason why or just get on with it? Do they do it on points or strokes I wonder. Strokes can be an outlier as you could have a 7 or 8 on a couple of holes due to lost balls etc. Whereas with points you can get over a scratch relatively quickly.

Yeah I’d be up for that. We’d have a few from Cork, Galway, Limerick and Tipp. Dromoland might be asscessible to most.

A few members told me to appeal it, I just got on with it. Look at my absolute best I can shoot around 36 off 12, but I need to be fully firing on the day. There’s fuck all wiggle room. I reckon 14 would be a fair handicap for myself.

Cahir are very guarded when giving distance members handicaps because they don’t want to get the name that Slieve na mon got.

Fellas capable of playing off 4 or 5 were going down getting handicaps of 12 and 13 down there and going back cleaning up open singles and scratch cups. They got an awful name

somewhere like Esker Hills mightn’t be a bad shout. If we had lads coming from the East etc. Slap bang in the middle of the country like

1 Like

The computer adjusts your score to the lowest score that will give you a scratch in a strokes competition too. For example if you had a 7 on a par 3 where you have no shot it is counted as a 5 (lowest score that scores 0 stableford points). Not 100% on how it works if you have no handicap but i guess it is done this way using 18 or something.

2 Likes

I think the handicap system is very unfair as it stands in Golf, because of cunts sharking the system.

If you play very well you can get cut a shot or two for exceptional scoring, if you play absolutely fucking woeful you only ever get back .1

You can only get back 6 .1’s in 12 months.

Cheats ruin it for everyone. It just leads to fellas minding their mark for a big one.

New world golf handicap system is to be introduced in GB & Ire in Aug.

Competitions secretaries are going to have some beano with that when it comes in :laughing:

I’ve tried having an understand of it, it’s fairly complex

That’s ridiculous. Far better off give him a high hcap and allow him be competitive… Cap the hcaps for capts prize if you want to then. But 21 allows a fella a chance to score

They should be doing it on strokes vs standard scratch for the day.

Yeah I thought so as well. The only way he will go with the handicap is in reverse. I have played a round with him a couple of times recently and the most he seems to average on a round is 5 or 6 pars. He will probably loose 2 or 3 balls and scratch those holes. And the rest would be bogeys or double bogeys. I couldn’t see him breaking 30 points any time soon. Now he is only getting into the game and is 27 so its like he is being handicapped on what he will do in the future v’s what level hes at at the moment. He should be off at least 18.

1 Like

That’s absolutely not the point of the handicapping system

Now satlying that if he is a beginner as you said and he has broken the ton three times and 90 once he should be well able to play to the hcao they gave him in due course