Good Books

He’s awful… real snowflake writer for the snowflake generation.

Your word is good enough to confirm my original suspicion, bro.

I read the Prisoners of Geography in Spain, its unreal, I saw in the airport and remembered @Smark recommending it and I bought it, as we share the same views and outlooks in most subjects

2 Likes

I’ve been reading a good bit more lately which I had been meaning to do for a while.

Redemption Falls by Joseph O’Connor is fucking epic. Best thing I’ve read in ages. cc @horsebox

My Name is Leon is a lovely little book written from the perspective of a kid taken into foster care that you’d get through in a day.

Currently reading It. King is really taking his time with it but I like Stephen King. cc @KinvarasPassion

3 Likes

Loved, absolutely loved Redemption Falls though that opening chapter is very tough work, it’s loosely based on Thomas Francis Meagher
Hated My name is Leon but read it through anyway.

You hated it? Dear God how? I thought it was a beautiful book.

Great reading mate. Finish it out. The finale, Bloods a Rover wraps it all up nicely.

Struggled through Irvine Welsh’s A Decent Ride on holidays last week. Poor enough plot premise.

1 Like

It’s dull mate, wouldn’t be my kind of book.
I suspect you’d enjoy ‘Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine’ though.

Finished The Force last night. Pathetic ending after an enjoyable enough read. Hate that.

I finished reading Donal Ryan’s collection of short stories last week ( A slanting of the Sun)

Highly recommended.

3 Likes

Outstanding, as good a collection as I’ve ever read.

You are going too far there. He has not caught up with McGahern, Trevor, O’Connor or O’Flaherty, to name some Irish targets.

Wouldn’t be familiar with O’Flaherty but for my taste his stories are up there with the best of the others, possibly because they’re contemporary, Trevor and McGahern can be outstanding but twee enough as well,
I grew up with those Frank O’Connor stories.

Just ordered Robert Harris latest novel Munich.

Really enjoyed Conclave and An Officer and a Spy. Always remember reading his debut novel Fatherland in a single day. Was not as much of a fan of the Roman trilogy he did.

He is on this weeks Irish Times Inside Politics podcast. Interesting take on Britain, Brexit and Corbyn.

Just finished this. Very enjoyable.

Finished Hillbilly Elegy last night. Good read alright. I thought it ran out of steam a bit towards the end. You’d be left a bit conflicted. They have a tough life but his solution seems to be that they should go to church, not be so lazy and stop living in broken homes.

A solid 7/10 for K Fallon’s book FORM.

1 Like

What did you make of it in the end? I was a bit undewhelmed - lots of historical insight but a fairly average story imho

1 Like

Would agree found Munich underwhelming.
Would always read Robert Harris just based on how much I enjoyed Fatherland years ago.

1 Like

Yeah not great.

Officer and a Spy was better