Good Books

Have about 50 pages left in it. It is an enjoyable read, each chapter is two pages long. The Granny Aylward character in it seems to be based internet persons of @Fagan_ODowd

1 Like

I just finished it. Enjoyable but not his best. I found the 2 page chapters interruped the flow of it. Still a decent read. 6/10

I’m on holiday with a two year old and 18 week old. The 2 page chapters are a good send

3 Likes

I’m at about the same place in it.
I actually think it’s an outstanding read and I love the short chapters, have you noticed all the characters from previous books, it’s a fabulous world he’s created.

I’ve only read his book of short stories three or so year ago

This has been on the book shelf for a long time now. Only started if recently. Shaping up well.

1 Like

This is an astonishingly beautiful book, 87 small pages, I read it in one sitting, unputdownable as they say

Welcome to about a month ago mate

It’s was published in 2010

1 Like

Recommended here a good month ago. August 25 to be exact.

@flattythehurdler @backinatracksuit I read that book about 50x, did it for the Leaving Cert 2008.

2 Likes

My sister gave it me. Said the author has another really good one too, but I can’t remember the name cc @backinatracksuit . What a lovely book to be able to do for the LC.

Interesting rather than brilliant.

Id never read much about the nazis as the topic has been done to death. But this is a different take and follows the life of a few families that became business tycoons on the back of the nazis and aryanization of jewish businesses… Volkswagen , BMW, dr oetker, pret a manger, Allianz insurance… To name a few. The families nearly all availed of slave labour and turned a blind eye to the cruelty involved… Ranges from pre war to modern times. It’s social history as much as it is nazi. Gobbles features heavily

2 Likes

I’ve always found it interesting how rich a place like Munich is and that all that family money survived losing two World Wars.

1 Like

I didn’t know it was a leaving cert book, very interesting, I think I’ll make a point of reading as many of them as I can.
The ending of Foster is obviously open to interpretation, I reread the last section three times, and it’s a lovely book to discuss I’d say.
I read that on Friday night and bought a collection of her short stories yesterday

1 Like

They are two brands that should have been exterminated. Woeful shite.

1 Like

Flatty being a true patriot by going Greggs

1 Like

Ristorante pizza for the price was the absolute dogs bollocks.
Always laughed at the Italian marketing in the ads only to be ended by “BY DR. OETKER!”

1 Like

It’s definitely the best of the budget frozen pizzas,
I was listening to a book the other day, a character who was about 60 was remembering a time as a 12 year old and in his story the babysitter was making him a pizza, this was in Ireland, if I was in a car I would have crashed it

Jesus I used to hate them. Always thought the ingredients tasted far more processed than others.

1 Like