Good Books

Probably failing here was for the best. It would have turned her into a martyr. Now everyone knows she was a malignant cunt bar fools like George Hook.

2 Likes

It was a ridiculous decision to try to take her out. They nearly did as well. Had it happened then the British Army would have blown the IRA to bits.

Spare is a great bit of craic, i wouldn’t believe a word of it but easy listening on a long drive and he tells a great aul yarn

Had forgotten about that. Cracking read. One of those books you’d be a bit disappointed to finish it.

1 Like

The original 70s version is far superior. Great read that book

The 70’s one was the one I was referring to.

Edward Fox etc.

Just Finished Small Mercies. Denis Lehane’s latest. Very enjoyable. An irish mob story set in Boston in the early 70s during high school desegregation. Not too dissimilar to Mystic River.

Read “The Scramble for Africa” on holidays there. I know it’s been mentioned in this thread before but I found it superb. A big read at over 600 pages (in a small font) but an engaging style makes it tick along. The history of the whole thing is fascinating. King Leopoldo was some boyo

3 Likes

As I suspected, this is a great book

I really enjoyed this. A meditation on the richness of the Irish language, it’s roots, it’s connection to the Irish landscape, our way of life and spirituality.

7 Likes

Just finished this. Never trust a spy - even those apparently on the same side.

2 Likes

I’m reading Kala. A first novel from a lad from Galway called Colin Walsh. Halfway through and i can’t put it down. Outstanding so far.

3 Likes

Great name :+1:

I’m about half way through now on this recommendation and I can endorse, great book (so far), Kala

I read ‘Day of the Jackal’ after reading this thread and only thought it was OK, 6/10 for me.

1 Like

Fair enough.

I have to say I thought it was superb. The bar really for a crime thriller.

1 Like

6/10 isn’t bad,
I’m not sorry I read it or anything, it’s good to read the classics, not my usual genre anyway

I’m reading Tarry Flynn at the moment by Patrick Kavanagh.

I’m torn between him being a clear weirdo and borderline sexual predator and his incredible writing ability.

This was a good read. Taylor as usual writes very well.

3 Likes

any reccs on audio books?

The best journalist on the North in my view.