Good Books

Star of the sea I presume, the famine ship one, it’s magnificent. There’s a sort of sequel called redemption falls, that’s great too.

Really like all his books, and Sebastian Barry even more. Recently went and bought all their back catalogue to work my way back through them.

1 Like

Room by Emma Donoghue.

A masterpiece.

As was the film by Lenny Abrahamson.

Ireland :clap:

1 Like

It wouldn’t have mattered to republicans at all
bar the satisfaction from knowing the cunt paid the price for letting 10 good men die.

Finished this just now. Good owl book about a ghostwriter writing the memoir of a character who is obviously Tony Blair.

3 Likes

I finally read Friday night lights.
Excellent book.
I really enjoyed it.
As much about America, and the death of school years as it is about sport.

1 Like

Went back and finished this. Really picked up after the first few chapters, and i enjoyed it overall.

1 Like

That was made into a film starring Ewan MacGregor I think

Just finished this one. Longlisted for the Booker but the reviews I’ve read of it have been mixed or poor really. Enjoyed it myself. It’s about the country being taken over by a fascist party and order breaking down, told through the eyes of a mother with a young family. In reality though it’s the story of Syria as if it were Ireland.

3 Likes

I finished “The Bee Sting” by Paul Murray last week. He wrote “Skippy Dies” about 10 years ago which I thought was fantastic. A follow-up book about 5 years ago I didn’t enjoy as much at all.

Anyway, back to The Bee Sting - I really enjoyed it. A lengthy enough novel about an Irish family and their various perspectives, stories etc but it hums along with a very easy style of prose.

If you enjoyed Skippy Dies then you’ll def like this

2 Likes

Great characters
Definite mini series in it, who’d play Imelda?

1 Like

Charlie Murphy - maybe slightly too young?

1 Like

I’m reading it at the moment. I didn’t read Skippy Dies but acquaintances tell me it was very good. You probably weren’t sure but the pieces about the GAA ring very true you’ll be glad to hear.

2 Likes

I mentioned a book called “Among the thugs” as being good. I actually packed it in before the end. It was well written, but the people involved were so utterly hateful, and their behaviour so revolting it became depressing.

1 Like

My recollection was that the author was decidedly two faced about what was going on. Got Stockholm syndrome.

2 Likes

He certainly seemed to. And what went on was evil.

Finished this today. Ultimately I thought it was an unsatisfactory book. And modern Irish authors are absolutely obsessed with writing about sex.

I thought it was brutal and wasn’t a fan of the writing at all.

2 Likes

https://www.rte.ie/culture/2023/0921/1406648-booker-prize-shortlist/

2 Likes

This was a reasonably interesting read. Focused as much on day to day life in the GDR as on the high politics. Much more nuanced picture of life in the state than you’d normally be presented with.

4 Likes

Solar Bones was magnificent, so would have high hopes for this

2 Likes