Good Books

The east Germany museum in Berlin focusing on how life was with all the examples of products and things is very interesting, a fun museum.

3 Likes

https://images.app.goo.gl/xYRTLPUb5jTetUnY9

Thoroughly enjoyed this. A mixture of Colson Whitehead and Brother where art thou.

1 Like

Just finished Small Mercies by Denis Lehane.
I don’t like finishing many of his books, i find he has a voice which really appeals for some reason.

1 Like

The Colson Whitehead comparison was enough for me
I started listening this morning, seems excellent so far

1 Like

A great read. Lehane is at his best writing about 'south boston.

1 Like

There’s something humane and wistful about his world. It’s sad and uplifting at the same time. Not multilayered deep, but just right for a tired mind that wants a bit of escapism.

1 Like

Colson Whitehead. Tell me more. Not heard of him.

Nickel Boys and The Underground Railroad are both extraordinary books

Harlem Shuffle not so much to my liking but very readable, also a new follow up to that that I haven’t read yet.

Read the first two I mentioned, I think they both won the Pulitzer for fiction

Ah I read underground railroad and it was good, but I thought it would have held up better without the allegory. That’s just me though I know.
I started the nickel boys but didn’t finish it. I’ll give it another go.

I’ve read one of the four different ‘manuscripts’ in this, found it very boring and I’m debating whether to continue.

Co winner of the Pulitzer Fiction prize 2023

IMG_4389

Snap. I’ve 75% through or so. Hoping it will all come together at the end to justify the hype

1 Like

I have a pile of books to read so I’m debating whether to cut my loses on it.

Finished this over the weekend. There was some effort at pulling it all together but I’m not sure it was worth the wait to be honest. Seems the book is more about looking at the different perspectives on truth than the story itself.

After reading it I googled the reviews and I was surprised how effusive the praise was for it - “Destined to become one of the great novels of our time, this ingenious work more than lives up to the hype” from The Irish Times for example.

1 Like

Like him

I got this in an American bookshop. I like American bookshops. This one is very partisan but entertaining and frightening in equal measure. Anyone that wants it send me a pm.

Finished that last night. Didn’t like it at all

I think I’ll be leaving it after the first manuscript.

That’s easily the worst one in fairness. You’ll have the second one read in no time

Enjoying this on audible at the moment

1 Like

x1 speed on a book as long as Shantaram is some commitment :joy:

It is meant to be a great book, but I think I’d need to win the lotto to have the time to sit down and get through it.