Good Books

A very interesting book. Hard to follow in the way people were described as ‘sometimes boyfriend more usually friend’ as opposed to a simple name but in the end that added to the appeal of it. Very skillfully crafted and a very original way to look at the Troubles.

1 Like

I just finished this a while back and I just don’t get the hype for it at all. Writing a book about fascism without touching on the politics of it is a cop out. I found the premise rather thin. Also, if you want to write about the effects of fascism on people then there are enough situations in the world where it’s actually ongoing that you can write about. And it wouldn’t have killed him to use paragraphs.

I’m rereading Never let me go by Kazua Ishiguro

It’s a proper great book, a modern classic

1 Like

It’s not a book about facism. I don’t think you quite understood the premise of the book.

May she burn bright each day

1 Like

The effect of fascism on people then. I thought the premise of the book was thin, the set up was unconvincing, even some of the episodes in it like the bit with the snipers had no reasoning behind them. There’s plenty of places in the world where that kind of thing is actually happening, if the book is about a message of empathy for the effects on people then write about those places.

I agree whole heartedly here. A real damp squid.

This is a great review of Shuggie Bain, which I just read again.
Apparently it’s based in a decent amount on the authors childhood.
Shuggie is one of the greatest literary heroes, and that ultra-rare creation, someone you feel you know personally by the end.
I’m not sure if anyone can do the needful. It’s bizarrely from the telegraph. I’d assume the writer and sub editor were fired when the boss got back.

Best book I’ve read in recent years

2 Likes

I lived in Glasgow in the nineties. I absolutely love the city, but that just adds to the experience of the book.
It’s remorseless but.
An occasional ray of light in a bit of humour, and a single pirouette at the end just about rescue it.

Trading In the Zone - is a must read.

I’ve started this but fairly meh so far.

Anyone read this yet? @BruidheanChaorthainn it sounds like something you would enjoy.

He does a good podcast.

I’d actually agree with him.

This Ireland is full thing is a load of rubbish but it’s exactly what the billionaires want. Turn the working class v the emigrant.

Your man makes the point the 40k a man year should not be pissed off with the 120k a man a year. It’s the multi millionaires and billionaires who we should be angry with. They own so much of the wealth now it’s not funny and it’s almost like they are banks. They can’t lose.

It’s similar to what brolly was on about but far clearer.

I hate the way he curses so much but he’s a very smart man.

Same here.

An extraordinary book from a debut novelist.

What did you make of this? I’m 3/4 way through. Very good first half but lagging a bit i think.

I’d agree to an extent I suppose, it’s a fantastic book but was probably a couple of hundred pages too long.

1 Like

Any recommendations on best value place to buy books online?
I’m looking for a list of 10/12 books. They’re mainly Booker/Pulitzer winners and a couple of history books.