Good Books

He’s a lovely writer who can also tell a very good story.

Yep. He has you on the edge of your seat amongst it all.

1 Like

One of my favourite books, it’s magnificent. I loved redemption falls which is kind of related. I’ve working my way through his and Sebastian Barry’s back catalogue.

1 Like

The Thrill of it all is another of his books I really enjoyed.

1 Like

I’ve started into Night Boat to Tangier by Kevin Barry.

Good so far.

2 Likes

I’m reading Days Without End by Barry at the moment. An intriguing read so far (about half the way through).

Good owl :owl: book in fairness.

1 Like

A magic book. And his next book is a sequel to it.

Barry writes some sentences that would make you stop and read them over and over again, he’s amazing. I think his language has maybe become a bit more simple in his later books, but they’re more emotional if anything.

I read A long long way a while back, about WWI. An incredible book.

3 Likes

I didn’t like it, though I’d argue that he’s the finest short story writer in the country, Night boat could have been a short story

City of Bohane was a tremendous book. I’d agree Kevin Barry is probably best at short stories.

I’d forgotten about that, another book I didn’t like to be honest

I enjoyed it. Took a bit if work to pick up the lingo but was worth it then I felt.

I saw a few YouTube clips of him and I would have the same impression. Seemed to get a lot of knock backs before finally getting his publishing deal.

This is a pretty good book, the Vietnam part is excellent

Listened to this based on all the recommendations here…it was good but not as good as I expected…turned into a famous five novel by the last 20 chapters…if say it is ripe for a netflix “normal people” style adaptation…

I’d agree he didn’t get the second half quite right. A very promising first novel all the same.

2 Likes

Showed great promise alright, just didn’t seem to know how to finish it, second half was unsatisfactory

New Kevin Barry novel
Out this week

1 Like

Looks excellent. He is a true original.

1 Like

Kevin Barry on with Brendan o Connor now

1 Like