Good Books

So which of Barry’s books start the Dunne/McNulty story? Difficult to find out where to start.

It really doesn’t matter although this new one would be the first on a timeline. They all stand alone and are all very good, though a long long way and the secret scripture are the best of them.

1 Like

Just started reading Ecstasy by Irvine Welsh. I’ve read most of his books but never got round to this one. Too early to say if it belongs in here yet but the Freddy Royle/Jimmy Saville character is incredible considering this was first published in 1996. Has Welsh ever commented on this?

Just finished days without end yesterday, it really is a brilliant book, best I’ve read in a long time. Gripping ending.

1 Like

Donal Ryan has had to return to his full time job because he can’t make writing pay :eek:

Jaysus…his full time job is an English lecturer in UL or somewhere is it?

Suppose you get fuck all out-of the book sales. Books wouldn’t really translate overseas either I’d imagine

Back to the civil service. He reckons he was getting about 40c a book.

1 Like

He had been writer in residence in UL under Joe O Connor but that gig is up and he’s been replaced by Julian Gough, best known to me as the singer in Toasted Heretic.
Ryan will be grand, it’s no harm for a writer like him to live in the real world.

2 Likes

Sure Flann O Brian worked in the Service all his life.

2 Likes

The man that wrote Unlimited Heartbreak is still teaching . Says it all Boyos ,

3 Likes

Does that lad actually write anything? He’s forever getting cushy gigs like that

@rocko, please issue @TreatyStones with a ban for posting a link to an article by a confirmed cunt of year.

This is a good tune, my brother had a hand drawn copy of the cassette album in the late 80s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aS_6BfN1_k

I remember the band alright. I heard an interview with him one night on about living on the dole and ligging his way into whatever book launch/award ceremony etc that was on to get free food and drink. A pure bluffer but what harm.

Some of the Toasted Heretic lyrics were pretty colourful .

1 Like

Days without End has won the Costa award in the past week, I thought it was outstanding but didn’t really think it would have the mass appeal of his previous winner The Secret Scripture, it has stayed with me in the couple of months since I’ve read it though which is a very good sign, I’ll often recall very little of a book I’ve enjoyed within a short time of reading.

1 Like

His new book retails at about 15 euro and he gets 40 cents. Dickensian shit. Makes no cents

1 Like

40c a book plus an advance from the publisher who takes on a lot of risk to be fair

What would the advance be? 5k maybe and go on and write the book? Its seriously small fry in fairness for the skill and time involved.

How many copies would one of Ryan’s books sell ???