Good Books

Yeah I’d agree with that - he’s a fan of being called The Boss

1 Like

Can’t get into a Slanting of the Sun at all. Read the story about the young driver whose girlfriend died in the accident. Have tried 2 more chapters but they’re all depressing as fuck. Is every story like that?

Pretty much. Have you read his other stuff? None of it is sweetness and light

No, picked up that book on recommendations from here. Never heard of him before that tbh.

That was your mistake right there.

2 Likes

Julian gough was an arrogant little tit.

That first story isn’t one of the better ones to be honest, though it is quite memorable and those characters make a cameo in the new book as well.
Try the last one which is called ‘slanting of the sun’ or one called ‘long puck’.
Theres a good one about a woman who works in am old folks home but I can’t remember the name, another about a barman who has an encounter with his ex. I think they’re superb but won’t be to everyone’s taste obviously, I’d give them another try though.

2 Likes

Friend of yours?

An old Galway gobshite.
Reckoned he was the hybrid lovechild of bono and Oscar wilde. Probably with the worst traits of both.

1 Like

While I’m on the topic (see films thread) I wish to commend to the board A River Runs Through it and Other Stories by Norman Maclean.

A Man Called Ove is a good book

Do forumites know that all local libraries will be joined up on a national level soon and you will now be able to borrow books nationwide?

Roasters in Cavan will be queuing up for 50 shades of Grey

2 Likes

Didn’t that come in some months back, we were notified by the library anyway, they also said they would be bringing in fines but so far they haven’t bothered with that so maybe it hasn’t rolled out yet.

For that fathers thread really but anybody with kids would be insane not to use the library, for your own sanity as much as the kids. We take about 30 books out of the place every few weeks.

2 Likes

Just over 100 pages into Perfidia by James Ellroy.
Shaping up to a classic Ellroy so far. Anytime by I’ve read by him always enjoyed.

1 Like

I had a few unexpected hours to put down a few weeks ago at an airport so bought a book called ‘Prisoners of Geography’. It’s about how the history of countries and how they build their power and how their relationships etc. are formed is to a large part based on their geographical location on the planet. I think its a good read if you’re interested in that sort of thing.

1 Like

Just finished ‘Midnight’s Children’ - utterly remarkable book.

Now about to start the new ‘Thrawn’ because I’m an adult that reads Star Wars novels.

Just finished Political Football: The Life and Death of Belfast Celtic. It isn’t a greatly written book and the author constantly repeats himself but it is interesting nonetheless. Belfast Celtic regularly attracted crowds of 25,000 to their games. Such a pity really that we are so obsessed with the EPL and nobody goes to domestic league games in those numbers anymore.

3 Likes

It’s part of the sporting lore in Cork that Hibs and Celtic derbies in the early 70s could attract crowds approaching 30000. I’m not sure how it fell so quickly but the first LOI match I attended was early 80s between Cork United and Athlone and I’d say there was a couple of hundred there.

There’s a reason Dalymount was so big that it could hold 40,000 and that was because club games got those kind of crowds, occasionally. Not always, but occasionally. Milltown could take 28,000. You’d get big crowds for Waterford games in Kilcohan, probably around the 10k mark when Waterford were a powerhouse. But the league sank like a stone after the advent of Match of the Day on the telly. The lack of investment by the club owners in the grounds and on players was very shortsighted and once MOTD came in it was very apparent that the LOI consisted of inferior players playing in inferior grounds.

There is a good book on the topic called Who Killed Our Game. I gave my copy to that cunt Tom Coughlan who drove Cork City into the ground and he never gave it back.

6 Likes