Good Books

Were you one of the 50 odd thousand who crammed into Landsdowne road when the blues played the European champions back in 68?

I was a GAA head pal and there was a ban in place.

3 Likes

Too risky? Free-scoring Waterford footballers must have had a higher profile back then.

Bought the PJ O’Rourke book on the US Presidential election in the Book Centre there yesterday. Poor enough book in the overall but when he hit the spot it was absolutely side splitting.

He’s gets the kid in the end

1 Like

What’s it called? Haven’t read PJ in years.

How the hell dis this happen. I hadn’t read him in years either but the book was on sale in the book Centre so I said I’d give it a shot. He’s 70 now btw.

He must be.“holidays in hell” was a great book.

What’s this in reference to?

:rollseyes:

Bought it few weeks ago but haven’t got around to reading it yet.
Haven’t read PJ in years.
“Age and guile beats youth innocence and a bad hair cut” is a fine collection of his work.
When he’s on form he’s very enjoyable.

1 Like

Revisiting Stephen Kings IT on audiobook at the minute as a follow up to reading it over 25 years ago. Its brilliant.

1 Like

I read it as a teenager and it scared the bollocks out of me. Probably his best book. An epic.

1 Like

Its still scary… The way he develops all the characters in detail adds a real kick to it when pennywise goes off on one

I’d say I read that at 14 years of age. Afraid to stop reading afraid to turn the light off afraid to go for a piss

1 Like

I am reading Hillbilly Elergy by JD Vance at present . It is not bad but not as good as many think .

+1

I imagine this will change my life in ways I never thought possible when I finally get round to reading it.

I thought marriage would do the same but here I am 17 years later still looking to outsource

1 Like

This is a super book that should be read by anyone with an interest in US politics. As much as it is about the high themes of Hilary’s campaign it is as much about the finances of a campaign, canvassing, staffing, data analytics, polling and so on.

2 Likes