Good Books

I didn’t mind his first published one (spinning heart?) with the perspectives from different characters. The second one was okay but depressing due to the inevitable ending which he had revealed the ending in the Spinning Heart. I read a few pages of the 3rd one and the I couldn’t face any more of his grim storylines, which seem to be typical of a lot of Irish literature.

I just started the Two Sisters book recommended by @Fagan_ODowd. Good insight alright and explains the various strands of and background to the Syrian conflict very well.

Different strokes I suppose, I think Ryan is an extraordinary writer, I wouldn’t consider his books depressing, perhaps if you tried to describe them in a few words, there’s great humour in there as well.

I did pick up that two sisters book as well, the Ryan book also deals with a Syrian refugee

1 Like

I read 60 pages of two sisters last night.
Lapsed poster @Fagan_ODowd was right I’d say, it’s a bit of a masterpiece

Wouldn’t sell you on Islam being a religion of peace

It’s mostly been the Somalian family’s story so far, just got to explaining the genesis of the conflict in Syria with the kids graffiti on the school wall, fascinating stuff.

Cc @SHANNONSIDER
Sounds like required reading for coinnosseurs of Flann O’Briens writing

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/flann-o-brien-man-of-many-letters-man-of-many-masks-1.3475060

Disregard all the nonsense I’ve posted and believe me when I tell you that this is fantastic. A series of letters from a droll, streetwise, no-nonsense, self-made millionaire who takes a broad view of business, marriage, education, livestock, manners and people in general.
It’s full of sense and humour, and I wish I’d read it years before I did.
And it’s a nice short easy read.
Letters from a self-made merchant to his son https://g.co/kgs/qJGnwT

I’ve read some crackers there recently.

Homo Deus by Yuval Noah Harari
Prisoners of Geography and Divided by Tim Marshall
History of the Arabs Eugene Rogan
Skin in the Game Nassim Nicholas Taleb.

That last one isn’t so much a good book (it isn’t) but it’s an outstanding rant. Vicious in parts.

The Cow Book is shite, avoid unless you are a mealy mouthed country boy who enjoys hearing tales about how great Mammy and Sean the priest are.

1 Like

Did you read Sapiens?

Just consumed ‘Dead Man’s Trousers’ via audio book. … The latest offering in Welsh’s Trainspotting series. Enjoyed it immensely I have to say.

No but I will.

1 Like

I’ve bought Welsh’s book but yet to start it. How do they do the audio book? Some lad in a heavy Scottish accent spraffing away?

I bought Sapiens the other day but haven’t started it yet. Is it tough going? I also bought Worth Dying For by Tim Marshall. I’m currently reading The Mountain Shadow which is utter dogshit and I’m not going to finish it.

Sapiens is an easy read. You will plough through it.

1 Like

Tam Dean Burn is the blokes name. He’s brilliant. He does all of Welshs stuff.

1 Like

Just finished chapter 1 via audio book. Easy listening so far but fascinating too.

Don’t overestimate him.

1 Like

The lost soul of Eamon Magee :

Some tale

Cheers for the recommendation. Very good read. He’s some tramp.

This guys has just been assassinated in Kiev. Fucked up.

Another unfortunate death of a Putin critic.